Question: Freshly Hatched Axolotl Eggs

Francesca

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Kikkja
I think my female axolotl might be about to drop another load of eggs ;)

I have found from past experience, that the simplest way to deal with her eggs is;
1.) To take the eggs out of the tank after she deposits them on various plants.
2.) Then clean the tank and substrate..
3.) Finally add a divider in the tank to separate her from her mate, at least for a for a few weeks or months.. (depending how often you want them to breed).

Usually I have a spare 30x30x30 tank that is already cycled that I can use to place the plants with the eggs in. However, at present it is being used to house my last batch of babies, who are not yet old enough to sell.

So my I am wondering if the following might work?

When I see my female about to lay her eggs, (providing I am there when it happens?);
Can I take her and a bunch of plants and put them in a large tub type, circular bucket about 40litres and wait until she is finished depositing them before I put her back into her regular home.

Furthermore, will the eggs hatch in a bucket with an air stone? Or do they need to grow in cycled water with a filter?
If I can keep them in a bucket, will daily water changes be enough to stop any fungus or bacterial growth from forming, and for them to develop properly?

I have heard you can buy an 'egg net' to keep them in, yet I have never seen one in the aquarium shop.. I did try a small netted bag once with just a few in it, but they did not survive.. So I am a little cautious..

I have never hatched eggs other than in a cycled tank with a filter. And now that I have had some success I would hate to go backwards, its too rewarding watching them grow and their colours and markings developed.. :eek:

Regards,
Francesca.

1 Male, 2 Female Axolotls and 60 baby axolotls with their front legs.
Looking for a 'water dragon'.​

I see no reason why you couldn't take your female out and have her lay the eggs in a large bucket. Please transfer her very gently though. Eggs will develop and hatch in uncycled water but it must be dechlorinated. Daily water changes are unecessary and would only need to be done if any bad eggs fouled the water. I haven't changed the water in the 2+ weeks that the eggs take to hatch. Adding an air stone is optional, I always have but I've heard that they aren't necessary. Good luck.

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil.

I have to agree with the air stone issue. I have found it seems to aggravate them more than doing them good. If your doing daily water changes, I don't think they need the H2O oxygenated. But I did think the eggs would. I will go with your advice, you seem to be the expert.

Just another thing, a little off this topic, but I have noticed that every time my female is about to lay eggs, she gets a white spot on one side of her gills. She is a completely black Wild Type, at first I thought it was a fungal infection, but as soon as she drops her eggs it goes away?

Have you ever heard or seen this happening?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back