Reaction score
Country
England
Not sure where to start with this,

First off I thought my axie had a fungal infection in her leg

5ac1fc07-5a23-dee9.jpg

But things got worse

5ac1fc07-5a88-4d9c.jpg

And now it's even worse (sorry for the quality of pic)

5ac1fc07-5acc-3aec.jpg

I'm not sure what to do know, I originally as I thought it was fungus, so I used a salt bath (as per tutorial on here) and kept him in the fridge, however now it's worse I have taken him out of the fridge and keep him in a bucket (away from my other axies). I have dint this as when I took a previous axie to the vet they said to heal an infection it's better to keep him in normal conditions and feed them lots to help get over the infection and regenerate.

Any help will be much appreciated :(

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.437652,-2.602774

Do you think the leg was bitten by one of her tank mates?
How long has this been going on? Where the water conditions good prior to this happening and finally what where you feeding her?
I would try keeping her in clean cool water, and feed her her daily as she is getting rather thin.

I really don't know.

I guess it could have been but....... , I have 3 and they all get on fine?

As for water it is normally fine however I recently had a issue with like a oily film on the surface but this has now been cleared up. I also feed them worms 1 every 2/3 days.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.437652,-2.602795

Anybody know how long it takes for a leg to regenerate?

I guess the skin will re grow over the bone first so one that's done the whole leg will reform?

He's in a separate tank now and I mo longer give him salt baths. He's still eating which is good so i try to feed him 2 worms a day....

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.437654,-2.602724

Im sure it was bitten by its tank mates, grew fungus and rotted off. I have seen this before in my animals. It will grow back in a month.

The thing that bothers me is he looks to be extremely under weight. His body should be almost as wide as his head . He's nowhere close to that. I would feed him every day until his weight increases. Every two days is ok with a animal at proper weight but every 3 day is not enough. I feed mine a whole night crawler I cut in 1/2 or into 1/3's 4-5 days a week.

The leg will be back in 1-2 months but it could happen that there is a toe still missing or there is a toe too many.:sick: One of my axolotls had no feet when I got him and now on both of his front feet he has 5 toes and on one of his back feet he only has four but he doesn't seem to care about it. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back