Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed, sluggish and attempting escape?

danchristopher

Reaction score
My newest addition, Elizabeth, was in extremely poor shape when we brought her home, as I've previously mentioned in other threads. She had really chewed up, sad looking gills and I could feel a few stones very obviously stuck inside her. While in the fridge she pooped out a couple of the stones after a week and I thought her gills looked minimally better.
I gave her salt bathes for a small amount of fungus I discovered and then gave her tea bathes to try and remove the 'white sheen' she had covering her gills, I'm assuming from heat stress (though I'm still waiting for my damned indian almond leaves!!)

Last night I introduced her to her tank because she was looking awfully skinny and was refusing food in the fridge so I thought it might be good and healthy for her to eat. When her container was room temperature and I was slowly adjusting her to the tank water I dropped in a few blackworms, she ate a couple and refused to eat anymore.

Since putting her in her tank she has been acting very strangely. For one thing she moves around very slowly and sluggishly like she is struggling and doesn't have the energy to do much of anything. What really worries me though is that sometimes she swims up to the top of the water and flips out like she's trying to throw herself out of the tank. Right now she is sitting on a plant at the very surface with a little bit of her head out of the water and flicking her gills once every 5-10 seconds or so.
The tank parameters are completely fine. It is filtered with a hang-on filter and there is a sponge filter also cycling in the tank pumping in lots of air bubbles (she is sitting right near it). Is she just struggling to get oxygen because of her tiny gills? Or could it be something more?

There is a photo of her here, her gills look much the same, perhaps a tiny bit longer:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...m/f58-sick-axolotl/80352-chewed-up-gills.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1