Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Erratic movements after fringing

method

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had to fridge one of my axoltyls after I found him floating, unfortunately this brother id not make it. I fridged him for about a week and he showed improvement (pooped and no longer floating) so I took him out got him back to room temperature and added him back to the tank (i cycled the tank for the week he was out).

However now when he is in the tank he has these strange movements, like he bounces around rotating fully in the middle (sometimes he ends up on his back from rotating too far). It also looks like he is trying to get to the top sometimes and just doesn't make it but he puts in a LOT of effort. He is looking pretty skinny but ate when we first put him back in (didn't eat whilst fridged)

Any advice would be awesome as i would hate to loose my little guy. :(

method

Reaction score
ok he has stopped moving, i picked up up and he didn't resist at all, took him outta water for about 3 second and he attempted to move but he was barely moving at all. Put him back in and he landed on his back, did not attempt to roll over at all :( rolled him over and his just sitting there, not moving. I know his still alive because he did move when i picked him up. Any advice on how to save his life?!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Did you acclimate him at all when you removed him from the fridge? Or did you just put him directly back into the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1