Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Tank

Evan Man

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I had a couple of questions that always confused me, hopefully you experts can help me :happy:. I have kept some freshwater fish in the past and I haven't really been the most responsible fish owner :(. Recently, I had become aware of the mysterious little animal called an axolotl :happy:,and so I decided to research this little animal beforehand, hopefully hoping to end my bad luck with fish. I am considering a 30 gallon tank for my axolotl(s). The substrate I am planning to use is Marine Sand, I know that the prefer the pH on the harder side. I am going to be using a cascade 150 power filter for up to 35 gallons (because sand requires a bigger filter.) Recently I noticed some a white substance growing around the edges of my filter in my old tank that I will be using for the future one :eek: and I have NO clue as to what it is. One of my other major questions about axoltols I've had is the cycling part. I've read in one of these forums that it isn't dangerous to cycle the tank with the axolotl, but i'm not 100% sure... If I cannot cycle the tank with the axolotl I am planning to use White Mountain Minnows (I heard they require similiar temperatures?) Alas, I am not sure with the minnows so I guess it is back to researching :p. If anybody could give me any insight as to what I can do to help give an axolotl a great home, I would be very thankful :happy:.

Thanks in advance!

dad of axle

Reaction score
Good luck with your new axolotl, I had a trial run with a fish I called "sushi" but my father knocked over the tank and it landed on the floor and the trauma was too much for it.

in april I purchased a cheap plastic tank and put three goldfish in it and somehow they survived for several months. long enough for me to decide it would be safe to try and keep an axie as a pet.

I didnt even know about salamanders and hadnt read up anywhere near as much as you seem to have. So I am on a wonderful epic adventure up the knowledge mountain.
this site is a great help so far I have learnt almost all i know about these wonderful animals from this site and have told a 2 pet shops about the site too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1