Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is best to feed

juwuls

Reaction score
i have just got an axoltols from someone who cant care for him anymore dont think he has been on best of diets he is around 2 yrs and has been fed frozen whole fish every 2 nd day but having read on here is maybe not the best diet what else can i feed her i dont want to feed any creepy stuff as i dont think i could any suggestions

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Earthworms are great for axolotls diet wise,they aren't too creepy and you can use tweezers or feeding tongues to pick them up!

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

esn

Reaction score
Earthworms, or nightcrawlers. They make a nice staple diet. Also, a treat of frozen bloodworms is good.

RogueAngel

Reaction score
I feed mine earthworm then for a change they get frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp pellets and prawns they love them all but worms are there fave lol :D

Sven

Reaction score
I feed mine frozen bloodworms, earthworms and on the occasion 1 day old pinkie mice (1 per axolotl).;)

natjobe

Reaction score
I feed mine frozen bloodworms, earthworms and on the occasion 1 day old pinkie mice (1 per axolotl).;)

Don't think pinkie's are good for your axie. I think their bone, even though they are small, are a risk. I don't believe axies can digest the bones or pass them. Hopefully someone else will say for sure!

Sven

Reaction score
I don't think it is a problem for my 27cm long axolotl to digest or pass if necessery the bones of a 2cm long pinkie once a month?:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls can digest pinkies just fine. I've routinely fed most of my salamanders pinkie mice with never an issue. Pinkies are actually a good source of calcium, and are calorically dense if you have an animal that has trouble putting on weight.

jinian

Reaction score
They do love and thrive on earthworms! If that's too creepy or you don't have a good source of clean worms nearby, axolotls do well on salmon pellets also. I have a tender-hearted partner who hates it when I feed live worms to my axie, so mostly Hex gets pellets. I bought them from Michael Shrom here on the forums; I'm not sure what a good UK source would be, but you can search the For Sale section.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I generally feed my adult axolotls earthworms(80% of their diet), pellets , raw shrimp, the odd guppy and pinkies as a once a month treat. Juvies get blood worm, chopped earthworm and micro pellets.

Renabeans

Reaction score
What about rosy minnows for juvis? are they too big for them? Can you get blackworms at a pet store? Would earthworms from somewhere like walmart or something be okay?

Kribby

Reaction score
Axolotl food is pretty scarce in my neck of the woods, especially this time of year. So I feed a mix of scallops and bloodworms.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Fish aren't a natural axolotl food, and unless you breed your own, they can harbor a lot of disease and parasites. Walmart earthworms are just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1