New tank

danchristopher

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Dan
Yo, so am probably getting a new tank tomorrow so that I may indulge in perhaps another axolotl or two (they really are weirdly addictive...)

The one I am looking at is 120cm (4ft) long by 60cm (2ft) high and 50cm deep, it's holding capacity is approx. 360 litres (or 94 gallons).

How many adult axies would be safe to house in a tank of this size with plenty of hides and plants? I know the general rule is 2 feet + 1 feet per extra axie but seeing as this tank is fair deep and holds a larger volume of water than most 4 foot tanks, would it be safe to assume that I'd be able to fit an extra one or two in there?

Why so tall? I was thinking about the same here for a multiple axolotls tank but I would go 120x40x40cm. The tank would have some better perspective proportions with this size. The axies dont need that much hight but if you want more floor space, go for it.

Depends on the personality of your axies, mine are ground movers, some are highground.

Im after a 6x2x2 as i want 2ft floor space in width.

I'm interested in the height mostly for aesthetic reasons, the tank will sit in a pretty prominent spot in my place so I basically want it to look pretty. I also plan to have a lot of sort of 'levels' of built up rocks/wood as my axies currently like to hang out in random spots all over the tank (high and low) sometimes. I can imagine the extra water capacity should be good for all the waste these guys produce too.
Also, I can get it at a good price which is what is most important to me! haha :rolleyes:

I would say 4 axies, 5 would be a gamble.

a tall tank is a good idea in my books too as it increases the volume of water in the tank and will act as a buffer to dilute wastes.

I agree, i prefer a deeper tank also, it allows levels and so much more space to axiescape :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back