Species/subspecies identification

Ivo Katrafilov

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
We received these for A. tigrinum, but the upper one shold to be A. mavortium.

Best Regards

Attachments

• P1100479.jpg
    P1100479.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 552
  • P1100475.jpg
    P1100475.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 467
Without locality data, it's impossible to tell by pattern alone.

Really, they both look like mavortium.

I´d agree that they are mavortium but i´m no good with the tigrinum/mavortium complex.

Aside from the matter of what they are, i have to say that the conditions in the picture are not suitable for these animals. The pine bark can be toxic to amphibians, it´s also rough and could harm their skin and offers no possibility of burrowing which is important for tiger salamanders. I´d strongly recommend changing them to a soil/shreded coconut substrate with a few centimetres of depth.
Check out the caresheet in the CC articles.

Thanks for the answers. I hope they are one and the same subspecies, taking into account that they are from one import.

This is not pine bark. They have hiding places and deep soft substrat for digging. I keep amphibians from many years.

Best Regards

Ehm....i have that kind of bark in my snake terrarium (treated) and i assure that it is pine bark. I´m glad to hear that they have a substrate to dig in, that´s wonderful, but the bark in the picture is definitely pine bark. Not good for amphibians, specially when wet.

It sure looks like pine bark.

I have to agree. Salamanders do not do well with bark like that, and it really seems pine.
Id recommend you some neutral soft substrate with moisture along with some meshed moss for more air circulation at the bottom.
Should do fine for them. A little of Cork Bark on it, semi buried for cover will do the trick.
Thus the animals are in bad shape. A very good initial treatment is therefore also required and maintenance of a good ration of food per week so shape and health can be maintained in a good level.

It looks like large chunk orchid bark to me, which is fine for amphibians. Pine bark is generally a lot coarser and varied.

orchid bark - Google Search

"Orchid" bark being, typically, Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). While a conifer, this species seems to be commonly associated with a number of species of salamanders in the wild. I use fir bark as part of the mix with many amphibians, and have found that mixed substrates work better overall than any one substrate used alone. That's at least partly because the mixed textures should increase aeration of the "soil" and thus prevent problems resulting from anoxia and anaerobic decay. I haven't encountered any problems that can be associated with using the bark specifically of Douglas fir.

As to the salamanders, they are both the same. They appear to be either A.m.mavortium or A.m.melanostictum, more likely the latter. It's questionable whether the two are distinct from one another anyway, and they may simply represent variation associated with their enormous combined range.

Fir bark is fine. It is processed by steam prior to sale. Personally, I prefer coir products, but fir bark is okay as long as it isn't "sticky" and as long as it doesn't smell like pine. When I did the wood article a while back, I actually spoke on the phone with a couple of the suppliers. This stuff is leftovers from the paper making process and is prepared to extract the "black liquor" as boiler fuel.

As for species, I am no expert, but I would bet based on appearance that these are both mavortium.

I am the importer of this bark for the country and I can guarantee that it is not pine and is completely safe. The above animal is in good condition, other one will be soon.

Best Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back