Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs

DeCypher

Reaction score
Just as I predicted. :D
I need help, fast. My albino female laid somewhere around 300 eggs, her first batch. I got around 200 of the eggs and placed them in a separate 10-gal tank. Will the adults eat the other 100 of the eggs in their tank? Most of the eggs are still attached to the plants (I just moved the plants they were laid on.) The tank is around 65 F and it has about 5 inches of water. Too many eggs? I am going to buy lots of brine shrimp eggs and a net today. I don't feel like messing around with daphnia.
Am I doing it right? Please leave any suggestions. This is my first time.
PS - what type will it be if father is leucistic and mother is albino?

Jake

Reaction score
If you are asking will they be OK for a while, the answer is yes. If you want to leave them in with the parents they will eventually be eaten, some while they are in the egg, but when they hatch most will be tasty treats.

You can never have too many eggs if you have plenty of space, dedication and food. Some people advise raising a dozen or two for the first time, but you can raise hundreds easily.

If the leucistic parent carries the albino gene, some of the offspring will be albino and some leucistic, but if it doesn't carry the gene they will all be leucistic.

DeCypher

Reaction score
It's a ten-gallon tank with around 250-300 eggs. I am buying as much brine shrimp eggs as I can. I am unfortunately going on vacation for two weeks on the 26th. Which will be around exactly when they hatch. Someone will be home, I've been educating them on raising Axolotl larvae and brine shrimp.
Do you think I should take some eggs out? Because I will gladly do so. I personally feel it will be WAY too crowded in there. I am concerned mainly of the water fouling because there could be casualties and competition for food.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
250-300 eggs should be fine in a 10g for a little while. I would personally buy another cheap tank (or see if you can get one free of craigslist (clean WELL)).

You can use a sponge filter for filtration help. Find one that has the air hose attachement, not one you need to use an airstone with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1