Illness/Sickness: INJURY! Help!

iplaythebassoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my guys has two cuts on his tail. seen

here: http://i.imgur.com/flhpV.jpg

and here: imgur: the simple image sharer

he seems to be acting fine but I have no idea how this could have happened. He has one tank mate axoltol. all I can think of is that its from the pvp pipe hide that i have for him. Although, he hasnt had a problem with them for the near 2 years I've had him.

what do I need to do to insure a health recovery??

Oh no! I hope someone comes along to help! I would for sure inspect that pvc pipe. Run a pantyhose through it to see if there is any particular sharp edge it catches on, that could be the culprit!

I don't know of any advice other than clean clean water! :( More people should be here to help soon!

thank you! I'll do that. I'm thinking about putting him in his own container with some fresh spring water that I keep on hand. Should I give him a salt bath for something like this? Maybe just clean water, isolated, fridge??

I hope someone comes soon.

CRAAAP!

the other axie :(

http://i.imgur.com/4M7F7.jpg

how the hell does this happen. I was out of town for two days and got home to clean the aquarium and both of them are injured. I dont get it.

I only have one spare place to put the both of them.
I'm going to give them a salt bath together.

someone, help. please!

I cant get them to sit still long enough to move them to the salt bath. any ideas on how to move them. when I grab them they freak out

ok, I got them into the bath...I used a bowl..they are not happy at all

Could that last injury be a bite? :( Could they be fighting when you haven't seen?

As far as catching an axolotl, maybe you could use the cup method. When I had to catch my fish for water changes I would use an empty cup. When the axolotl gets near, put the cup into the water. All the water will pour into the cup really quickly, and suck him in with it.

From what I'm seeing by looking up axolotl injured, you might not need to do the salt bath as it isn't infected yet or anything, but just keep them in cool clean water (and possibly separated if they are fighting), but of course, hopefully an actually experienced member will come by. Search on this forum for injury or injured..or cut or something. maybe you'll see what others have done!

Edit: nevermind, sorry I was slow. I still say use the search engine to see what people suggest

I did a 20 min salt bath for both of them with a weak solution of water and sea salt. I now have them in a different container in the bathroom. I dont have room in my fridge for them, but I opened up the window and the cold air should help to keep the temp pretty low in that one room.

the cup helped for moving them to the other container! thanks

How are they doing today?

It's another day, so hopefully there will be other members with axolotl experience here to help if you need it! :)

They seem to be doing fine. I gave them another salt bath about an hour ago and they are now in fresh water again. I think that there isnt much to worry about other than infection. They dont seem too stressed from the environment change.

here is a video of them today. Axolotl salt bath - YouTube

Both injuries look like nips from each other.

I don't think either axolotl needs salt baths. Salt baths aren't a preventative treatment (but tea baths are!). They should only be used when a topical infection is present, not to prevent one.

To best facilitate healing, keep them in their own tank and keep them cool, clean, and well-fed.

Thank you for the reply. I did the salt baths because on Axolotls - Health & Diseases it says that you can to prevent infection for physical injuries. I'll stop the salt baths and keep them isolated today. I was thinking about returning them to their aquarium tonight. Do you think this would be a good move. I fed them last night; they both ate half of a large night crawler.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back