Question: Axolotl tank mates???

tomd8820

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive if this seems a stupid question

I am planning on getting a axolotl and have been reading on the net that some people have been able to keep fish, mollies sometimes guppies, and sometimes shrimp, ghost shrimp cos there quick!?!.

I am novice when it comes to axolotl keeping, I realise they have delicate gills and that they are carnivores so it could lead to a eat or be eaten when it comes to fish/shrimp and axolotl.

I was just wandering whether any1 has had any success with keeping either fish or shrimp with axolotls. If you have which etc... and any help you could provide would be great.

sorry again if this has been posted before or is in the wrong category/forum.

just read in other threads tht people have had success with cherry shrimps, not sure about the breeding though if any1 has any other info it wud be appreciated

you can do a thread search, it'll help you answer alot of questions.

This is one of the more commonly asked questions, I think if you browse the forum you will find lots of info :)

I have kept white cloud minnows, but found even they occasionally nip at the axolotl's gills, so I took them out. You have to keep in mind that the temp of your tank should be too cool for most tropical fish. White cloud minnows are tolerant of the cool water.

Ghost shrimp make a good tank-mate, but they will eventually be eaten, and are hard to see.

yeh thort it wud be quite a common question posted it without looking really my bad!

have seen a couple of post since posting my question will have another look

I've had glasshrimp (Macrobrachium lanchesteri) together with my axolotls and they all got eaten and they where pretty quick too.:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back