Introduced two axolotls wow!

sheena22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it Looked like they were going to eat each other, removed the divider i bought jjust in case.

They are Rubbing themselves all over each other and in less than half an hour a spermatore has appeared and he wont leave her alone! So cute so glad i did it :)

I have actually seen the 'waggy tail' thing now when they are getting a bit you know....

Really fascinating their behaviour together, she never moves a lot now shes moving loads, she must really like her new mate :)

So happy mums making me watch them like a hawk! xx:happy:

They sound adorable. It's exciting for them and for you, though maybe in different ways!

Last edited:
had that same experience today, i was worried about introducing them and they might injure each other, but what i seen was as if they were enjoying introducing themselves to each other, it seemed playful and they were definetly in a heightened state, so i turned the lights off and put the blue moonlights on, decided to check on them 5 minutes later, turned light back on and the male had produced a spermaphore and was surrounding her with it, awesome to watch

Pretty much exactly what i saw how lovely we could both see our axies like that :) so glad we put them together xxx

I wonder...

My axies have grown up with each other from when they were just 2.5 inches long. They've been sexually mature for about 2 months now, and I clearly have a male and a female... but I haven't seen any mating behavior yet! I don't really care if they do or not (although it would be cool), but it seems like if you introduce a male and a female for the first time as adults they go crazy for each other!

Do you think mine are just less eager to mate due to familiarity with each other?

Last edited:
I dont think it would be to do with that, it just seemed everything fell in place really, temp change etc. How old are they ? X

My guess... probably just under a year. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them this summer but they were young juveniles.

My guess... probably just under a year. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them this summer but they were young juveniles.

Okay give them some time and they will, it seems to be when the temp drops or gets hotter they breed, but you never know when they may breed :)

The suggested time for females is 12-18 months to breed the longer the better as it puts a lot of strain on the lotl, i thought mine was going to die and shes a beast whos well over a year old, but shes absolutely fine :) x

Ran into this post looking for info on introducing a new axie to a tank...You never know... it may be the difference between the cute guy/gal you grew up with and the "new" cute guy/gal at work... one is a bit more exciting than the other ;) I'm getting Itzy a tank mate Monday... I'm super excited! He looks so lonely in that big 55gal with just a few guppies to keep him company (until he eats them!) I haven't found anything yet on it, but is there a preferred male/female ratio for axies? and do you just put them in like fish after the temp has equalized?

Hi Camidria :)

Providing the tank is big enough and your water conditions are good put the axolotl in the tank (if you got it in a bag or tub) For about 15 minutes slowly adding the tank water to the bag like you would do with fish :)

It is recommended by a lot of users on here that the other axie is big enough so that they cant eat each others head, because mistakes do happen :)

I really dont think there is a male to female ratio to be considered at all but I might be wrong, if you have any questions dont hesistate to ask its so exciting :)xxxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back