Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating :/

Shanno93

Reaction score
Poor little Chicken. About three days ago, I got up in the morning and Chicken was floating near the top of the tank on his side. He kept trying to roll over but couldn't. His stomach is blloated so I put him in the fridge. He's been in there for almost three days and no change. I've fed him but he doesn't eat it. I cannot think of any reason why he's bloated, because his tankmate is fine and I don't have stones/gravel in my tank. Please help!

J

jcj57

Probably wont eat in the fridge, metabolism slows down. Other than that any change in the floating thing or has he passed anything unusual?

shells

Reaction score
How much water do you have covering Chicken? I find it helps their stress levels if you can put just enough in to cover them so they touch the ground. Is Chicken still on his side in the fridge?

Also, following on from jcj's post, has Chicken passed anything?

Don't worry if Chicken doesn't eat, fridging slows their metabolisim down, was he eating/pooing ok prior to the floating incident?

Good luck, I'm going through some 'floating' problems myself atm.

Shanno93

Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything they pass before this, and he hasn't passed anything yet. And yes, he's still on his side in the fridge :( I just don't understand why his tankmate isn't sick too? I want to get him healthy again ASAP, Fonzie is missing his buddy :(

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Take him to a veterinarian.

It is impossible to diagnose bloating illnesses online as they can be indicative of everything from high water temperatures to renal failure.

shells

Reaction score
I can give you the name of a good axie friendly vet if you're in Brisbane. I think on the back of Sludge Monkey's post mine will be making a trip too :(

Shanno93

Reaction score
I've included some pictures, in case that might help. And I can't really afford to take him to the vet.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 184

Shanno93

Reaction score
Can someone please help. My mum has ordered me to take him out of the fridge, so when the water warms I'll have to put him back in the tank with Fonzie. Please help!! Is it safe for Fonzie? I don't want him getting sick too :(

dad of axle

Reaction score
Maybe you can use an esky and put some water and icebloks in it so that it readjusts.

I am only a beginner here so am just making an unedcated suggestion. you could put a thermoter in the esky with it.

Shanno93

Reaction score
I just had a sudden thought. Call me crazy but could Chicken be morphing? What are the signs of that? He's in a container now with his head almost fully out of the water and he keeps gasping for air?

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. Thread was titled "Belly full of air" (pIcture of my affected guy there)

I let someone else take care of my Axies while I was away so I wasn't sure of the cause. If the water was too hot or if he just gulped a lot of air. First two days I fridged him. He still ate some and pooed while in there, and the bubble did decrease a little. I reintroduced him to the tank (he was less Panicked and learnt how to an anchor himself down on things in the tank) and a couple more days later the bubble disappeared.

Aristotle is a leucistic so it was easy to see that it was air trapped in there, but as for your Axie: if the bubble still isn't going down after some time it might be time to consult a vet.

Last edited:

Shanno93

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Chicken passed away this morning. I feel like a terrible owner; first Sparrow and now Chicken. I gave him a good burial, and I'm glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore. But now that I think about it, aside from the floating, Chicken was exhibiting the same symptoms as Sparrow; bloating, swollen jaw. Although, Sparrow did lose his colouring and turn an odd whitish colour. It may or may not have been the same mystery illness. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong for two of my axies to have died within a month of each other?
R.I.P Chicken :'(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's too bad. I had a similar case to yours not too long ago. I think it was some sort of infection or something. Nothing I did helped. Surprisingly, third axolotl that was in that tank has remained fine, but is on permanent quarantine.

gecko1

Reaction score
Same problem -- suggestions?

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my black axolotl floating. He's not on his side, but sometimes he tries to swim down and can't make it far from the surface. He's looking bloated. I put him in a shallow tupper and gave him some food pellets, which he ate with enthusiasm, and now he's not floating quite so high in his tank. He also has a light patch on his head and a deformed front leg, but these have been around for a long time. His white tank-mate is fine.

Any suggestions? Should I stop feeding? Change water more frequently? I used the fridge-and-salt method on his tank-mate years ago for fungus, but I don't see how that would help with the bloating. Temperature and all water qualities are in a good range.

Thanks!
gecko1

snootyfox

Reaction score
Just a quick question for the bloat sufferers -can you describe the feeding habits? What/How are they eating?

xC

gecko1

Reaction score
Once or twice per week, I put each axolotl into its own medium gladware tupper filled with tank-water, then drop in five or ten axolotl pellets (from Indiana University) and let the axos suck them off the bottom.

snootyfox

Reaction score
Hmm I'm gonna have to say pop him in the fridge, Gecko1, in there he can concentrate on healing and try to expel any gas in an ideal atmostsphere for him - give him a couple of weeks and be patient with the patient :)
If it still doesn't go down, take him to a herp vet who may try to manually expel the air.

Hope all goes well

xC

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!