Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank set up for babies

decambla

Reaction score
I have 2 6cm babies and am wanting to move them from their containers into a proper tank. The tank I have in mind for them is aprox 30cms (l) x 15cms (w) x 20cms (h). It holds around 8lts of water. I understand they will not be in this tank for long as they continue to grow but these guys have some growth issues (very slow growing but this is a subject that has already been covered in another thread)
My questions are;
Will not having a filter be a problem? What sort of water changes (volume and frequency) will I need to do? They are currently housed in separate glass Pyrex containers and I do a 100% water change daily.
Will oxygen in the water be an issue? What height should I have the water at to ensure adequate oxygen in the water for these little guys. I'm sure I read somewhere that having the water too deep with babies can cause issues. There water is currently aprox 7cms deep.
Are there any other issues I should consider before I move them
Into their tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!