Sleepy time?

dad of axle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello I am just wondering if axolotls sleep, in the sameway other animals do. Given the combination of gills and rudimentary lungs and the fact that they are not fish but amphibians, how do i know if and when Axle is sleeping?

Hmm that's interesting! I wonder as well. I know that bettas "sleep" in a way, they get dormant and will sometimes cuddle up on a leaf or rest beside a tank ornament! I don't think it works the same way like other animals, but they do go through a resting period in the night. I know my leopard geckos sleep. Hm. I don't know anything about amphibians and resting. I wonder how axolotls respond to sleeping! For that matter, I wonder about my pacman frog as well!

good question!

I'm not all that sure, but from what I have read on the forum, the majority of axies seem to become (and are more) active in the evening and at night, as such mine are no different. this is also why I choose to feed mine at night before I go to bed (usually around 9-930ish I start work early!), as they can be seen trotting around the tank at that time looking for food.

when I wake in the morning (about 4.30am) they are chilled and stationary and seem to remain "dormant" that way for most of the morning unless they are disturbed. but come late afternoon, they seem awaken and the process starts again.

I think it probably has something to do with the fact that I only keep the light on the tank switched on when I'm at home (after 3pm till my bedtime)

They definitely sleep. Mine will get very still and just sit on the bottom for hours. Even if I look into the tank they don't move (usually they look up to beg for food!). I don't really know their schedule though. The room they're in is generally dark unless I'm there.

They do rest, it can be seen more clearly in white albinos and leucistics. They become very, very pale and can often appear dead. One of my leucies has scared me to death several times the last few weeks!!!

I know ! The first time I saw mine presumably sleeping, I was worried and I stared at her until I eventually saw a gill flick because she was so sill and wasn't taking any notice of me.

They do rest, it can be seen more clearly in white albinos and leucistics. They become very, very pale and can often appear dead. One of my leucies has scared me to death several times the last few weeks!!!

The first few times I caught mine sleeping their paleness scared me too! My leucistic was drained of all color... her gills were practically beige! It's harder to tell on my wild type, but his gills turn very light pink when he's asleep. Almost a mauve color. First time I saw this I thought he was sick!

In all my axolotls, there is a subtle but distinct difference in posture between sleeping and awake. Plus, mine know I bring food, so if I pass the tank and they don't come up to the glass they are definitely asleep!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back