Has the log and plants in my tank made the water yellow/green?

snootyfox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently put a long log with two plants already attached that I bought at the aquatic design centre into my tank, and the water has gone a kind of yellowy greeny colour. If I do a big water change, the colour comes back after a day. I don't think it can be algae, any other ideas?

x C

Last edited:
If you don't boil the new piece of driftwood or let it soak for weeks to even possibly months depending on the size it'll leak tannins into the water! Harmless to fish, but turn the water kind of into a tea color..

Thanks for the reply Purple Muffin - but the log was bought with these two beautiful plants already attached and almost growing into it. If I boil it won't they die? Is there anything else I can do?

x

Just place the planting in a tub of water and let it soak for a week or two, changing out the water until it appears clear. It just has to leach out of the wood. Cold to cool water is best, since it won't encourage the growth of algae or mold that could make the process longer.

Thanks very much cassie - it's already starting to run clear after soaking it in a tub.

xC

Caudata Culture has an article that explains the ins and outs of the use of real wood. See the links in my signature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back