Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Axoltols 100% water change or Filter

Mike McD

Reaction score
I am new to this amazing creature. Have a few questions:confused:

I have set up a tank with regular house water and letting it sit for 24 hours. Goal is to have two gfps in it on friday. I have read alot in the past few days and hear conflicting comments on where to buy and how to set up tank all the way to cycling the tank

Some say tank must be set up for 30 days prior to axoltols injection in tank.

The guy i am looking to buy from in Downers Grove IL says that no filter is needed and to set up a tank 24 hours before just to declorinate it. Then 100% water change once a week.:errr: (Even saw a post of a guy that killed 2 of his axoltols because he was doing 60% water change once a month and people replied that that was the cause due to stress. )

But many on this forum say never that drastic of a water change and to have set up for so long due to the right nitrate nitrite and amonia. (Most i have seen seem to have filter setup)??? Which is better for health of the axoltols.

:rofl:<---- Feel like this guy right now

I would think a 100% water change once a week would stress out the lil guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I have set up a tank with regular house water and letting it sit for 24 hours. Goal is to have two gfps in it on friday. I have read alot in the past few days and hear conflicting comments on where to buy and how to set up tank all the way to cycling the tank

Here are a few links to better explain the cycling process:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

The guy i am looking to buy from in Downers Grove IL says that no filter is needed and to set up a tank 24 hours before just to declorinate it. Then 100% water change once a week.:errr: (Even saw a post of a guy that killed 2 of his axoltols because he was doing 60% water change once a month and people replied that that was the cause due to stress. )

None of my axolotl tanks have filters. They are loaded with plants and I do a 10-20% water change once a week. Doing a 100% water change weekly would just keep resetting the whole cycling process.

But many on this forum say never that drastic of a water change and to have set up for so long due to the right nitrate nitrite and amonia. (Most i have seen seem to have filter setup)??? Which is better for health of the axoltols.

A small water change would keep the tank cycled and cause less stress on the axolotl.

With a massive water change you would have to remove the axolotl, remove the water, replace the water, then replace the axie. Too much work (that isn't needed) and too stressful on the axolotl in my opinion.

Chirple

Reaction score
I think a filter (or plants) and small water changes would be less stressful for both the animals AND you.

I have a sponge filter and do 25% weekly. Takes about 10 minutes or less. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!