Eggs 3 days from hatching, help please

millerj76

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
john
i am sure my eggs are fine and seem to be growing correctly, but after some reading on here i am unsure about my set up. i set up a 2 foot tank, no sand just a bare floor with a couple of fake plants. i have a filter running at minimum flow aginst the glass to lessen any flow in the water, and the eggs are at the furthest side away from the filter so very little distubance, i havent done a water change yet, water looks fine, i have owned an axxie for half a year and he is healthy, in a seperate tank. also wanted to know how soon to seperate after hatching have read around 4 weeks, just dont want no accidents. if i was to move eggs to a smaller container(sandwich container) would i have to aerate the water or would the daily water changes constitute fresh and oxygenated water, hope not too confusing, any comments or views would be thankfully appreciated......and my coffees gone cold doh!:happy:

thanks for reply, think my title 3 days till hatch could prove to be premature(day 13),nevertheless, read and scrolled all of your link and wow, you should commend yourself, your time spent on detailing everything and your tlc was awesome, ive got 11 soon to hatch will probably now put into smaller container because of the feeding,. i got a dark green melanoid 1an a half year old, but bought the eggs from a seller on ebay and hoping they are leucistic, i got 2 little girls who love pink and are already amazed by my big axxie, as is my son. i'm sure from reading your link i have got a good headstart, quite a lot if not most of your pics were awesome, my favourites were definetly your table that ended up with 11 different containers/tanks. will be keeping an eye on when to seperate and sizes and maybe save on casualties, i am worried that i may want to keep them all though :lick:, they are awesome creatures. will give you an update at some point and thanks very much! p.s do you still have the 2 you kept?

thanks for reply, think my title 3 days till hatch could prove to be premature(day 13),nevertheless, read and scrolled all of your link and wow, you should commend yourself, your time spent on detailing everything and your tlc was awesome, ive got 11 soon to hatch will probably now put into smaller container because of the feeding,. i got a dark green melanoid 1an a half year old, but bought the eggs from a seller on ebay and hoping they are leucistic, i got 2 little girls who love pink and are already amazed by my big axxie, as is my son. i'm sure from reading your link i have got a good headstart, quite a lot if not most of your pics were awesome, my favourites were definetly your table that ended up with 11 different containers/tanks. will be keeping an eye on when to seperate and sizes and maybe save on casualties, i am worried that i may want to keep them all though :lick:, they are awesome creatures. will give you an update at some point and thanks very much! p.s do you still have the 2 you kept?

It was good to keep a record of it *** as its so amazing they grow from a tiny egg into adults, no one would believe you if you told them that so seeing the pics is ideal plus its good for others rearing their own eggs.
Its hard to put a timeline on when the eggs wll hatch, my first batch took only 15 days to hatch but this second lot am at day 20 and still many have not hatched, they are doing it more now but its been longer than last time.
you will need a lot of tubs all depends on how many survive the initial 2 weeks.
Just now about 120 have hatched and they are in 4 small tubs but by the end of weekend will have 16 tubs probably on my table as will seperate them all out into managable amounts.
out of my first batch I kept 3 of them, 2 males and one female. It was really hard to sell the rest as you looked after for them for so long and get so attached to them.

just tried all 3 of my camera options (2different phones 1 handycamcorder,supposedly HD,ithink not) and it would be embarrasing to waste peoples time with the absolute non quality of the pics:(. Thankfully from both your threads i am confident my eggs are in good condition(day 13 today). I have 11 eggs that are soon to hatch(out of 20,bought for £7.50). I will put some photos on later of my eggs in their homes cant get no close ups though but most resemble your day 13ers, can see their gills tails eyes. I kept fish for 7 years previously tropical and malawi, always wanted to go marine, until accidentally coming across axolotl, no interest in marine no more, axolotls forever. will get pics up when kids go to bed tonight,,,

Re 10 new hatchlings 1still to hatch

day 14 and 6 of my 11 axo eggs are now newly born and now on day 15 four more have hatched, which leaves only 1 to hatch, funnily enough its the biggest one which i thought would be first out. all feeding well and looking well, thanks to everyone on this site i was well prepared and actually was really confident, after scrolling through so many different pages, especially dingodoo's well documented step by step, cheers,. also am now proud owner of a golden albino(red eye), sourced for me by local pet shop, still got to get hold of decent camera but some pics on photo bucket,(of eggs/hatchlings) got to figure out how to link them, will also be posting some questions later poss,,,,kids bed time woo hoo bye 4 now

Re: Re 10 new hatchlings 1still to hatch

The best way to get good pictures is with lots of light.

i can't find a thread that i read(poet now ha), about how to upload pics on here, would love to share some pics of new hatchlings, all doing well (nearly 3 days old) and still the biggest one of all has not hatched. i did notice that other hatchlings never really ate their sacks, they just wiggled out then never went back, and i am thinking maybe the one still to hatch is getting every last bit of goodness from the egg, its visibly bigger than any of the other hatchlings. would appreciate any help re. how to upload, thanks,,,,,,,wishing every human and axo a very MERRY CHRISTMAS

To attach pictures, click the 'go advanced' button, and then midway down under that, 'manage attachments'.

big thanks to kaysie, and yes occasionly i am known for not being able to see whats in front of me:)wacko:) here is some early photos that i took. eggs started of in a newly set up 2foot tank, i then moved eggs into containers on or around day 11(after viewing dingodoo's masterclass) will put some recent pics on tonight,,,, thanks again

Attachments

• eggs pic 1.jpg
    eggs pic 1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 414
  • eggs pic 2.jpg
    eggs pic 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 253
  • day 13.jpg
    day 13.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 322
really sorry about the quality of the these pics, but they are visibly axolotls, and they seem to be doing well. I still have one that has not hatched, he too still looks like he is doing well and i am not worried, he/she will come out when ready. although they are not the parents of my hatchlings i just wanted to introduce everyone to my 2 prize posessions alice(albino) and arnie

Attachments

• DSC00130.jpg
    DSC00130.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00132.jpg
    DSC00132.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00133.jpg
    DSC00133.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC00137.jpg
    DSC00137.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 244
  • alice.jpg
    alice.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 421
  • arnie.jpg
    arnie.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 285
day 18 and the last little egg is now a new born hatchling, he/she decided not to have me at the birth, gutted, this one is my favourite as it was the biggest of them all and i thought would be first out. will post updates and pics and also try borrow a decent camera. so i bought 20 eggs and 11 were good, happy with that, 10 took 2 weeks to be born and 1 lasted in the egg until 4 days later. after transporting them home which was about an hour drive, i put all the eggs into a 2ft tank that i had newly setup which had light filtration at the opposite side of tank, the temperature was at 20, but i realised on the second morning that the temperature in the tank had been dropping over night to about 16, so i decided to put a heater in so as to stabilise the temperatue, this worked and temperature stayed at just over 20. on day 11 i decided to transfer the eggs into three small sandwich containers(new) and a well cleaned ice cream tub, the temperature dropped whilst in the containers to between 16 and 18. hatchlings are on day 4 and 1 on day 1, they are feeding twice daily and having daily water changes, and seem to be doing well. forgot to say that whilst all eggs were still eggs i only done one water change, but i did have a filter for the 11 days in the tank. the eggs are not fragile, remarkably tough for there size and appearance, but still got to be very careful if trying to seperate as they are very slimily stuck together, and even though you may think they are seperated, they just may not be. all in its been a great experience that me my wife and kids have enjoyed immensly. hoping that they all survive, so we can raise them and watch them grow. thanks for all the help and advice. all the best for christmas to all

It sounds like a lot of fun! Hope everything continues to go well. Happy Christmas to you too.

Ok, still no better camera, but my little hatchlings are on day 21 now and today i was determined to get some pics up for you all to see. Not best quality but i'm happy with the pics, hope they are good enough for you. As i was taking pics, i have noticed the hatchlings are now beginning to get their front legs, and also since yesterday have noticed they are less tolerant of each other, so think they are coming onto the canabilistic stage

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 223
more pics,

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 210
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 227
aww I just love the babies :) I cant wait until I can find a good person to buy 2-3 from. Seems like I cant find anyone with any available lol. I just love Axolotl's

Until you do find someone with babies you can buy, you can always do lots of research, theres loads of info on here and some nice people to help. Have you tried the for sale section on here, its at the bottom of the forum index, good luck

Gutted, day 23 and its R.I.P to hatchling 2, so sad but the axolotl god obviously needs him, so hopefully he's swimming in axolotl heaven. Strange after 3 weeks, only thing i can attribute the death to, is i did notice earlier that the temperature in the container was higher than i have seen it, but only by 2-3 degrees, usually its between 15 and 16 and stable, but today it was 18, but other hatchlings in same container are ok. Back to worrying and keeping a closer eye

Aww not good but sometimes ment to be :(

Is this the one that had similar probs to mine?

A lot of my larvae have died well about 10 -20 max in 200 axolotls, its just the wAY IT IS. I think 5% of larvae die or might of been 15% not neccesairly anything you are doing wrong, theu are so tiny you gotta remember u cant see whats wrong with them. Your doing a fine job if the.majority are surviving, its just nature a few die but most thrive try not to worry xxxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back