Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A huge thank you goes to.....

PAWS

Reaction score
This website and all you contributors. As a complete newbie Axi owner I have learn't and continue to learn so much - my Axi is so much better cared for thanks to you all.

Hopefully I'll soon be in a position where I can offer advice and guidance to newbies like myself and share some of my experiences as my Axi grows. I have already taken the liberty of presenting my local pet shop with a care sheet (the advice I got when I purchased "Nessie" was awful).

... - oh and the kids named him/her not me!

my thanks again!

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Welcome to the the Axolotl parenting world :D!

I'm kind of interested, what did you list on the care sheet you gave your local pet shop?

P.s. Love the name Nessie X)!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to do the legwork on your own. It's refreshing to have someone come on not demanding instant gratification, but rather is willing to read and research.

I agree; Nessie is an adorable name.

PAWS

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words! I cobbled together a care sheet using information from Caudata and theamphibian, a UK based site on keeping all sorts! Just the headline stuff about tank mates, size of tank, foods, temperatures, substrate, life expectancy etc. All the basic stuff that I was informed of incorrectly!

danchristopher

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that virtually all pet stores (and even aquariums) have not taken any time to research how to keep and care for axolotls. You are not alone in being given wrong advice, but it's a great thing you've taken the time to educate yourself about your new pet :D

I'm sure Nessie has a loving home!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1