Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs newbie to them HELP Please!!

sheena22

Reaction score
Male put in 2 days ago with year old female 13th of december, 'laid' spermatores the same day and next day , today eggs were laid everywhere and she is still at it.

It is literally chance all of this has happened all so quick after waiting so long for him to grow to her size so they could go in together.

So the questions i wanted to ask were..

- Ive put the eggs into containers after getting rid of some I have 2 containers full of eggs, i have air tubing 1 air stone and im going to get another tomorow is this ok??

- Ive got a baby brine shrimp hatcher but the bf says its no good, anyone reccomend a good one that is reliable?

- Any warnings before hatching commences that I need to be aware of that you guys struggled with?

- Daily water changes after hatching but what to do before hatching, any changes?

-We have these special pads which absorb ammonia and are developed for marine creatures which are more delicate that axolotls should these be okay?

- Im going to get rid of more eggs suggested amounts to keep? Ive got a lot of good looking ones!!

I will do anything to keep them well, so please anything you suggest will be taken seriously and i will implement it! And they will be on here soonish for sale once they have grown a reasonable size for cheap to people I know will care for them, im not in this for the money i just want excellent loving homes and to basically cover what ive spent which isnt a lot :)

Thanks in advance

A panicking grandmother Sheena22!!

PAWS

Reaction score
Firstly - Congratulations!

Secondly - don't panic! In all the excitement its easy to forget that you have a load of time before you actually have to do anything and nature is pretty good at sorting itself out.

Thirdly - My advice is to do some basic searching on this site. There are many posts on raising eggs from initial laying to sorting, hatching, feeding and growing on. Honestly, 10 mins of searching will give you loads and loads of advice but I suggest you start here Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully and then follow the links.

and this thread "Getting Axolotl eggs in the post, what to do with them??" is both short and sweet but a great help (sorry i don't know how to link it - too old and slow me!)

Best of luck and please keep us updated

D

DingoDoo

If you follow what I have done you wont go wrong

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...vae-breeding/80599-follow-eggs-2nd-batch.html

There is no need for air or changing water, just leave eggs in tubs till they hatch

For the bbs all you need is an airpump, tube and a plastic 2ltr bottle, you dont need anything fancy

Here is also the full story of eggs to adulthood from my first batch

Fish Tank Forum • View topic - Axolotls - Follow the Eggs, Hatchlings and Juveniles

both links i gave will help you a lot.

sheena22

Reaction score
Thank you very much i will take a look at all ofthose links now :) xx

I have a lot of half black half white eggs what does this mean x

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That means they're normal, and their mother is not albino. Albino mothers' eggs start out all white, and then develop their color.

PAWS

Reaction score
Remember to keep us posted - and the odd photo would be great!

I have not had the pleasure of egg rearing and am trying to absorb all I can - bit like pre-natal classes!

sheena22

Reaction score
Ive got plenty of pictures x and the next lot they have id be more than happy to.give u some for free if u can look after them :) ill have plenty of babies too , i counted 170 ish in one container and i think.theres probably twice as many in the other x

Dont worry for people thinking ahh shes a newbie why is she doing this.i have my mum and.boyfriend to help and he works.with.fish lol.but.i.always like to come on here first to ask :)

Seriously though paw u can have some of their next eggs if u would like to raise.them x

sheena22

Reaction score
I can give u any details you want paw, so far its been easy putting them in lunch box type things with airstones, set up the brine shrimp hatchery tonight which is a plastic bottle lol and my female poor thing seemed to get sore bits after laying all the eggs and started rubbing it on plants yesterday.

Today she is fine , was worried yesterday think she was exuasted laying on her back and ecerything, gave them a good clean out and fed her two massive worms as she was following me round the tank and seemed really hungry still, so i figured why not poor thing has gone through a lot laying all those eggs :)

Even if u would like a try with 1 or two eggs im more than happy to give u some, it feels like i am a mother to like 300 babies lol ! X

Male seemed really hacked off today but i will keep a photo update :) so excited, now to see if my brine shrimp hatch if not i need to find a new lot of eggs, these are shellless which are really handy ! Will keep u posted :) thanks so much for all the help and fingers crissed they will be on here for sale soon.:) x

PAWS

Reaction score
That's very kind Sheena, but forgive me if I pass for the moment. 4 young kids and a 380 litre marine tank, My own Axi's and Christmas are taking up a lot of "me" time at the moment and we are in the middle of having an extension built (totally stressed!), but I really do appreciate the offer.

Have you thought about what you will do with all the young ones? I have no idea how many are likely to survive to adulthood but even if its just 10% that's 30 Axi's!

sheena22

Reaction score
No thats absolutely fine! Just if you do ever want any eggs let me know because i think there will be lots of them in the future!:happy:

Wow, marine tanks are really difficult to get just right what do you have in the tank?
I hope your stress lessens and you have a lovely christmas!!

If all the babies hatch i have room and food for all of them to grow to a reasonable size so I can sell them on either to the shop where my bf works, another shop nearby but everyone on here gets first refusal .

Had a couple of bad eggs already so I think that its very unlikely all are going to hatch, lots of lunchboxes and tanks at the ready :) 1 four footer sitting in the shed incase things get crazy lol :D

I had the BBS in a bottle ready to mix and hatch, and the air pump died, so they havent hatched, got it running again after about a day, is there a chance they may hatch now if anyone knows? x

obicat

Reaction score
I would LOVE some eggs! I've been looking for some for a while. Could you PM me if you have any going spare :eek:

sheena22

Reaction score
I did PM you on my phone but it must of not worked, and now unfortunately they are very very close to hatching, i promise you now next time i have eggs obi you get first dibs on eggs!!! Promise! Look out for my posts in the future as i can see these two making babies a lot and say hey gimme those eggs xD

The other day they were just eggs now they look like crecent moon shapes :) so excited will post photos of the babies :D xxxx

obicat

Reaction score
No PM, but I think I've sorted some for after christmas now, If not I'll let you know :happy:

I'll follow this post with interest, we need pics :D

sheena22

Reaction score
Ok, i shall get ny bfs bluetooth dongle and send pics from phone to comp will show u parents too :) tomorow x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1