Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starving Newt - NEED HELP IMMEDIATLEY

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
I just arrived home from a week and a half vacation not twenty minutes ago. When I went to feed my Red Efts I noticed one was plump and healthy while the other was completely emaciated. I told my brother to keep them fed (which he did) however I forgot to tell him that the two Newts had to be seperated when they eat as one enjoys stealing the other's food, leaving him to stave. Because of this failure on my part the gluttonous newt is healthy while the other is starving.

I put pinhead crickets, sliced worms AND bloodworms in front of the newt in hopes to get him to eat, but he refuses to touch the food. He is also very weak.

I don't want the little guy to die, please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :sad:

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
The Newt is now walking around at a faster pace (I took him out of his cage and put him on a wet cloth, seemed to revitalize him)

However, it still refuses to eat.

Here is a picture from the internet, the Red Eft in this picture is about as skinny as mine at this point in time:

Attachments

• Red+eft_3.jpg
    Red+eft_3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 513

slowfoot

Reaction score
I would move him to his own set up and try adding many live foods to the enclosure. Although, I don't think a week or two would be long enough to cause an eft to become super skinny - they can go quite a long time without eating.

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
I would move him to his own set up and try adding many live foods to the enclosure. Although, I don't think a week or two would be long enough to cause an eft to become super skinny - they can go quite a long time without eating.

Yeah, I've been looking up pictures of Red Efts in the wild and they're all just about as skinny as mine currently is.

I'll take your advice, thanks! It's really appreciated :)

Last edited:

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
UPDATE

It's been a few hours, I left the Newt alone with food. (Upon leaving him alone I figured he would be dead upon my return, he could barely move, was cold and was boney)

When I came back he was chubby, lively and healthy again. I'm very happy :)

All's well!

Thank you for your help everybody!! :happy::happy::happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1