Filter question

AngieD

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Angie
As some of you will already know, I have a pair of paddle-tail newts. The tank was set up around last august-september, and I have been doing 20% water changes each week. This proved to be fine until I started feeding them in the tank instead of in a separate large container. I tried using a net to sift out the large debris from the tank, but it's an impossible task. The fact that the dirt all collects around the tank ornamentations doesn't help matters either. The good side of this was that the in-tank feeding was less stressful for them, and I think they ate more.

The point of this is:
Is it ok to add a filter to an established tank without removing the inhabitants, or does the cycling period still apply?

You can certainly add a filter, as it only gives more space for cycling-bacteria to grow. But don't expect it to physically remove the dirt. You'll probably have to do that with a turkey baster or a siphon.

Does that mean you don´t currently have a filter? This species requires a rather strong current to thrive. Make sure you get a powerhead or a filter that can provide that current.
And, yeah, like Kaysie says, don´t worry. If the tank is already cycled then adding new surfaces won´t change that. They´ll be quickly colonized.

Thanks for your replies, I'll try and get the filter set up :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back