Wild axolotl

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Country
England
Ok so I just got a book called "salamanders of the southeast" and for the first time saw an actual wild axolotl,not a captive bred an actual axolotl from the lake in Mexico.
I thought I'd share the photo,mainly so those who've never seen one,can....that and I found it interesting.
Apologies for the quality,taken with my phone from a book.....

5208f387-2ad2-a261.jpg

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

Ohhh, I think he's rather sweet :) In a muddy sort of way!

I thought it looked like something from ghostbusters!try as I might I could never find a picture on the net of a wild one!

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

He or she is lovely :) They dont exist at all anymore do they? The real ambystoma mexicanum ? Or are there a few in captivity? x

How can you guys call that ugly lol, so sweet I could almost eat it! x

From the picture it looks like Tiger Salamander Larvae, but I guess for an obvious reason. Actually pretty cool too one in it's natural form.

Looks like its been eating too many mac donalds and not enough worms!

i cant see it! the link is not working for me :( shame, it sounds putrid...

By "natives" do you mean people living in Mexico? Most of them are about as native as most Americans.

I meant the indigenous people of Mexico, who are known to eat axolotls.

Thanks for clarifying. My impression from the literature was that axolotl consumption wasn't restricted to any ethnic group.

Mmm axolotl on toast ;) and me and that axy would be best friends i love mcdonalds! Heard the mcdonalds in america are so much better than here need to go lol x

I would never eat an axy, wonder what they taste like? A bit rubbery and candyfloss gills nom nom nom :) x

Mmm axolotl on toast ;) and me and that axy would be best friends i love mcdonalds! Heard the mcdonalds in america are so much better than here need to go lol x

I would never eat an axy, wonder what they taste like? A bit rubbery and candyfloss gills nom nom nom :) x

I like to imagine that they would be quite marshmallowy :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back