Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is my axolotl constipated? a little worried

mudkip246

Reaction score
My axolotl laxxy hasn't pooped for a about a week and a half. she isn't floating nor sinking. shes eating and behaving normally. ( i feed her every three days btw). but im a little worried though. i've heard that healthy axolotls poop at least once a week. could anyone give insight on the my little laxxy if shes is constipated? she lives in a ten gallon tank with sand as substrate and her size is six inches. soon upgrading into a 33 gallon and getting her a new friend:happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just because you haven't seen any poop? It does disintegrate quickly and turns into little piles of dust. I imagine if you vacuum your substrate and move decorations around, you'll remove more poop than you think.

mudkip246

Reaction score
Is it just because you haven't seen any poop? It does disintegrate quickly and turns into little piles of dust. I imagine if you vacuum your substrate and move decorations around, you'll remove more poop than you think.

every time i see my axolotl poop she usually leaves a big turd

D

DingoDoo

every time i see my axolotl poop she usually leaves a big turd
Mine was like that when young it was solid and stayed solid for a while, but as they are older 8 months + they disintigrate at a fast rate and more water changes are required than before.

snootyfox

Reaction score
Honey, what is your axie eating? I tend to find they get quite bunged up on a solid worm diet - a little fattening food like a little minnow every now and then seems to grease the guts a little! Is he still eating every day?

xC

mudkip246

Reaction score
Honey, what is your axie eating? I tend to find they get quite bunged up on a solid worm diet - a little fattening food like a little minnow every now and then seems to grease the guts a little! Is he still eating every day?

xC

srry for the long reply i usually feed her red wiggler worms. on occasion frozen blood worms. yes shes eating ( i feed her every three days). she always nips at my finger every time i put my hand in her tank :p i hope shes not constipated though:sick: like i said she usually poops a turd.

snootyfox

Reaction score
I'd give him a little oilier treat, like a tiny minnow or a guppy or even a sinking pellet, something to break it up a bit and get some fat inside to move things along, give it another week of non-pooping at the most then in the fridge until you see a little joyeous nugget.

Best of luck!

xC

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I'd give him a little oilier treat, like a tiny minnow or a guppy or even a sinking pellet, something to break it up a bit and get some fat inside to move things along, give it another week of non-pooping at the most then in the fridge until you see a little joyeous nugget.

Best of luck!

xC

If you put the axolotl in the fridge it could delay pooping.

Chances are if your axolotl is eating and showing no other signs of distress then you're probably just missing the poop and it's disintegrated.i have 3 axies in my tank and only about twice a week do I see two poops.....

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

snootyfox

Reaction score
If you put the axolotl in the fridge it could delay pooping.

Ah do you think so? It makes sense, as it does slow down the metabolism - but I've often found that when I put them in the fridge, especially when I haven't noticed poos in the tank for a few days, that they always pop out a couple after about 12 hours in the fridge. It's almost like they expel any waste and toxins before they slow their heart rate and metabolisms down.

xC

mudkip246

Reaction score
Ah do you think so? It makes sense, as it does slow down the metabolism - but I've often found that when I put them in the fridge, especially when I haven't noticed poos in the tank for a few days, that they always pop out a couple after about 12 hours in the fridge. It's almost like they expel any waste and toxins before they slow their heart rate and metabolisms down.

xC

an update. this morning my axolotl was trying to poop both her legs were up. so i left for work. after i came back. i went to inspect her tank i didnt see any poop in her tank and her legs were still up and trying to expell the poop. so i took her from her tank and put her in the fridge. did i do the right thing? or i should have waited. and how long should i keep her in the fridge?

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Fridging was a good choice on your part :). It aids in the digestive process and slows down their metabolism. If nothing else in the smaller container you'll be able to see its waste much easier.

When my Axie was having trouble digesting an old pellet, I put him in the fridge and the next day I noticed bits of it in in the container. Whether it was thrown up or pooped out I have no idea.

As long as you change the water daily with dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the fridge the Axolotl can stay in there for ages.

Just fill up a water bottle with the appropriate water and keep it in the fridge with your Axie for water changes.

Also, don't forget to poke air holes into the container that it's in. Tubberware works best.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, fridging stops the digestive process, which is what causes them to poop. Ectothermic animals will purge any food in their system when their temperature drops too low to support digestive processes.

mudkip246

Reaction score

Best of luck!

xC

could i feed my axie hikari carnivour sinking pellets?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1