Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

An axolotl that doesnt like live worms???

Spuncioo

Reaction score
Hi all. One of my axolotls doesnt seem to like live worms. I drop it in for her and she wrestles it about and eats it then after a few minutes spits it back out. Then after a few hours will eat it again and it stays down. Just want to know if this is ok or should i kill the worm for her first? Crazy little girl! Thanks.

Eastling352

Reaction score
Maybe they are a bit too large for her. One of my axies just devours every worm i give to her, but the other one seems to have a bit of trouble eating them, but only when they are of the larger size.

Maybe try cutting them up? Or they might just have to get used to that type of food.

snootyfox

Reaction score
Hey!
One of my girls was exactly the same - it takes quite a bit of patience on your part i'm afraid! The best thing to do is grab one of the wriggley little blighters, plop it in a basin full of cold water, then use your nails to cut it into small bits less than a cm long. Then take a tukey baster, suck up one bit, then keep dropping it and picking up the little bit of worm just past the axies face until the axie snaps for it. She should find it quite manageable. It used to take mine ages to eat one bit at a time with this method - now when she sees the baster she just clamps her chops around it till she gets a bit of worm. I increase the size of the worm weekly by just a millemeter or two - I'm hoping eventually she will take a live full size worm, just like my other axies.
Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1