Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Biggest one is eating all the food!

Reaction score
Hello :)
I have a bit of a problem with my axies. When i got them they were about 16cm and 18cm, but the biggest one is eating all the food, and has now grown a lot bigger than the small one. How can i make sure the little one is getting something to eat? It looks so weak compared to the big one. I'm a little concerned.. :(

hypno monkey

Reaction score
Hey, I had the same problem when mine were younger. I just used to scoop the smaller one out into a tupperware tub and feed it seperately. hope this is of some help.

Jade

J

jcj57

Mine were the same size when I first got them but one is heaps bigger, they grow at different rates. I use a turkey baster to place the bloodworms on their feed plate. Give Miss Piggy Bernadette some first to calm her down then make sure that Howard gets a few more mouthfuls before she wipes out the plate. I also feed them worms with the baster. Although I leave a couple on the plate for Bernadette to catch on her own and use the baster to drop them at Howards mouth.... but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, he is just slower growing.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
Mine were the same size when I first got them but one is heaps bigger, they grow at different rates. I use a turkey baster to place the bloodworms on their feed plate. Give Miss Piggy Bernadette some first to calm her down then make sure that Howard gets a few more mouthfuls before she wipes out the plate. I also feed them worms with the baster. Although I leave a couple on the plate for Bernadette to catch on her own and use the baster to drop them at Howards mouth.... but it doesn't seem to have made any difference, he is just slower growing.

Are your Axolotls named after people from the Big bang theory? :3

hacelepues

Reaction score
What do you feed them? Consider hand feeding them instead of just leaving it in the tank. By hand feeding, you'll know exactly how much each of your axies eat :)

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
What do you feed them? Consider hand feeding them instead of just leaving it in the tank. By hand feeding, you'll know exactly how much each of your axies eat :)

Even though my Axies are separated at the moment I still "hand feed" them. I suck up part of a worm and I partially drop it in front of their nose and they snatch it up.

They're grown so accustomed to it that they'll snap at the tip of the turkey baster hehe ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!