More tiger salamander problems

CheeseyDean

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay, I thought he was better but something is clearly wrong. Every 2-3 days he sheds, and his skin is normal. Then he starts getting the black specks again and he sheds. What could this be, and why is it happening? For the past day or so, he's barely moved around at all in his cage. He has water and moist substrate.

My previous thread- http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...r-help/80531-tiger-salamander-stuck-skin.html

No idea what you're looking at without pictures, but it sounds like your tiger has a bacterial or fungal infection. As this has been going on for a while, I would suggest seeing a vet as soon as humanly possible, as this is obviously something he can't fight off on his own.

Do the black specks look anything like this?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...amander-help/58646-help-black-spots-what.html

That's a thread with a similar issue and a positive outcome.

Might sound stupid but do you dechlorinate your water? I know you've kept this guy on paper towels his entire life, and recently changed to a real substrate. Just spit-balling.

No idea what you're looking at without pictures, but it sounds like your tiger has a bacterial or fungal infection. As this has been going on for a while, I would suggest seeing a vet as soon as humanly possible, as this is obviously something he can't fight off on his own.

Do the black specks look anything like this?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...amander-help/58646-help-black-spots-what.html

That's a thread with a similar issue and a positive outcome.
I guess they kinda look a little bit like that, but they're much, much smaller, they're not raised, and more spread out. They're mostly on his tail and his chin, and there's a little bit on other spots. And like I said, they're gone after he sheds. But they come back.

Might sound stupid but do you dechlorinate your water? I know you've kept this guy on paper towels his entire life, and recently changed to a real substrate. Just spit-balling.
Yes, I do. And I haven't switched to real substrate yet. I am going to within the next few days.

From what I've read, it seems like these tiny black specks mean he's going to shed soon. But the question is, why is he shedding so much? This clearly isn't normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back