Question: I want to get a Axolotl and need advise please

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

im new to this site. my name is Chez and i have wanted a Axolotl for some time but have always been a bit scared to own one as i know no one who has had one.

I really want to make sure i do everything right and not stress the little cutie out.

I have read they should be kept alone, is this correct? will they not get lonely?
Also what size tank would hyou recommened i wouldnt want to get one thats to small.
Do they bite? Also do you have any problem with them smelling?
How do you keep them clean?

just a few basic questions. ive had a reasearch online but theres so much conflicting answers i wanted to ask people who have them.

any advice you can give me would be great. i need the basics aswel. I wont consider getting on until i know all i need to know.

thanks in advance guys

Welcome to the site :)

They can be kept alone but if your set up is big enought yoh can put more in 99% ofvthe time without any Problem aslong as there about the same size

I like to say atleast 50 litre per axolotl so work you tank around that but make sure its floor space not high

They can bite but it doesnt hurt

Best to keep the tank bare bottom so you can see the mess there making use abit of airline hose and syphon it out

If you need any more info or interested in buying one in new year as thats when mine be ready pm me

Hope i have help

Rhys

Hi thanks for the info! Do you have a pic and price for the ones your selling? Could I on with a couple of questions? Would like to know a few things before getting one but would be interested in yours as was hopin to get one start of next year. Thanks

Great that you're getting information before diving in! Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander is a great site for reading up on axolotl care. Since they're entirely aquatic, a lot of general aquarium care information is relevant too, like the nitrogen cycle and water changes. The forum search function should find you lots of great information. We all have our own methods, and a few topics are contested, so it's interesting to read different perspectives.

Great that you're getting information before diving in! Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander is a great site for reading up on axolotl care. Since they're entirely aquatic, a lot of general aquarium care information is relevant too, like the nitrogen cycle and water changes. The forum search function should find you lots of great information. We all have our own methods, and a few topics are contested, so it's interesting to read different perspectives.

Thanks very much I'll take alook now. The cleaning of the tank and things like that are worrying me as I've never even kept fish. I'll check the website and hopefully Illfeel more confident then :) thanks again

I've just found a tank I like that's near me brand new,

Here are the measurements
1096 x 470 x 670mm. 275ltrs

Is that any good to house one?

Thanks

Yes, but it's a larger tank than I'd recommend for an aquarium beginner. If you're not used to water changes it's nice to have them be smaller amounts of water at first. Imagine if you had to do a 50% water change on that tank -- how many bucketfuls is that?! I'd recommend more like a 75-liter tank, or even a bit smaller (though not under about 40-50L for a full-grown axolotl).

Thanks for being so helpful that's a really good point. I'll take another look, what length should I look at? I'm researching that site and making notes now. It's very informative

god no, get the biggest tank you possibly can
The more water, the easier taking care of a tank is, the less water the more parameters will swing, get the largest tank that is in your budget.
Bigger is always better, especially for newbies to fish tanks

Bit confused now as two people saying different things. I'll have to have alook, I've been looking through the forum and it's really helpful. Just would e so much easier to see how the tank setup is done right. I have no idea what pump or filter I'll need. Will have to do more research

the more water you have the more diluted the toxins your axolotl releases will be. Yes when you change the water you'll have to change more, but your axolotl will be subjected to less nitrate, and in case anything does happen to go wrong, the extra water volume will allow more wiggle room for ammonia/nitrite spikes. More water is almost always better for anything aquatic.
besides axolotls do get quite large
if you have a nice deal on a large tank, go for it, don't' get a smaller tank if you don't have to

I've always been told the minimum should be 10 gallons of tank space per Axolotl. I have two Axolotls so I purchased a 20 gallon tank.

I find when they snap at my fingers it tickles :) There teeth are rubbery anyways.

The cleaning process is simple.

In a cycled tank I do a 20 percent water change with dechlorinated water once a week. Other then that many people use a turkey baster to spot clean any poop or uneaten food.

And no, they don't smell, at least not from what I've observed.

I'm glad your taking the time to prepare for an Axie beforehand.

Right now I would advise you to choose the type of tank, water conditioner, and filter that you'll be using as soon as possible. Then look up a guide on how to cycle your tank. Best to get this going early, it can take a month or two before its completely cycled.

Here's an article that's worth a read: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Last edited:
Have to say I agree with the bigger the tank the better.
Not only is the water more stable, but if you start smaller you can end up with MTS. (multiple tank syndrome )
I have 2 in a 4 foot long by 2 foot wide. As they were in a 4 ft before, but it was only 12 in wide bubba used to look a bit cramped as he is 12inches long.

So although they may be kind if lost when there little they do like the moving room.
You can also put lots of hides, plants ( real or fake) and make a nice habitat in a larger tank.

I have an external filter on 3 of my large tanks, and manternance on them is easy. But I also have pre filter sponges on all the water intakes, witch helps stop a lot of debris going into the filter itself.

You can attach a spray bar to the outlet and angle it to the glass, that helps break the flow and keeps things really gentle for the axies, and if it is above the water then that creates a lot of oxygen as well.

I agree that the tank you mentioned will be great for your first axolotl. The water will be more stable if maintained correctly. When the summer temperatures rise it will be easier to keep cool too. And finally, if you are anything like us, one axolotl will not be enough :D

Definitely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, go with the large tank. As has been said, the larger the volume of water the more it will buffer and tampon the build up of compounds and the more stable other parametres like temperature or pH will be. I´d say a newbie´s best friend is a large tank xD A large tank also makes having a filter completely unnecessary, so that´s a big bonus too.

Thanks guys. I'll go for that tank than as its a nice size and only down the road. I'll take alook at filters and see what would be suitable for it. Is it right I only fill half the tank? Do they ever come out the water? Do they need a plank or deck?
If anyone has time would they mind sending me a link to a filter in the Uk that's suitable for my tank size? I know I'm a pain but I would never forgive myself if I got it wrong and hurt the poor thing :(

Thanks everyone your great

fill up the tank all the way, but cover the top with a mesh lid so they can't jump out. They don't need any land masses, and are completely aquatic. Im not sure about uk filters, but a sponge filter should suffice. I would suggest you cycle the tank before getting the axolotl

great stuff. brilliant advice guys and i really appriciate it

ive been offered a 4ft cage which comes with a fluval filter number 4. are these two ok for an axie?

thanks

I wouldn´t get a filter at all. You won´t need it and it will only cause an undesirable current and heat. Either use a sponge filter or nothing at all. In a large tank you are unlikely to have any issues with water chemistry as long as you keep minimal cleaning standards and do regular water changes. Make sure to cycle the tank properly before acquiring an animal.

Oh right ok i thought they needed a filter. Even better then. I'm going to cycle the tank before defiently. Im researching that part now. Rather confusing to me but fingers crossed ill get it right

Thanks (again) :)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back