Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New from the UK... HELP ME

KingCanon

Reaction score
HI everyone,
My names john and I hail from Cheshire in the united kingdom. I'm not only new to the site but to Axolotls. I wanted have kept tropical fish for a number of years and when I decided to set up a new tank I wanted something a little amazing and that is when I fell head over heals for axolotls.

And on that day is when the problems started and why I am here now.
I like to think that I know what I am doing when it comes that fish, but I am so paranoid about keeping these amazing creatures in the wrong way.

So I implore you people of caudata.org HELP ME.

I've treated the water and set up the substrate, larger the pea size gravel with a java fern and hides both store bought and home made. (home made using an aquatic specific silicon). But the temperature moves from 18 degrees up to about 20.8 (I bought a digital thermometer just to check the temperature excactly) The tank is about 60l (2ft long by a ft deep) I use a fluval U1 filter and am trying to secure of spray bar but am having some tubing issues.

So how do I keep a tank cool without using the "Ice bottle trick" and on a budget? Is my tank big enough for two axolotls?

I really want to get this right and give them the best quality of life. I've looked into fans I've even come up with 3 versions of a home made cooler that should work... But I thought I'd come to the experts first.

To point out my obsession I am even working on a way of safely taking under water snaps of my new axolotls.

Any answers are welcome.

And happy Christmas and a very merry new year to all.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum John.
Ideally your tank should be below 20 degrees Celsius. Are you using lights on your tank that can be switched of? Would you be able to move the tank to a cooler spot in the house perhaps? You can possibly use aquarium fans to cool the water, but if this is your tank temperature during winter, you may have further problems summer time .

KingCanon

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I solved the initial problems with temperature and will be lookin into a fan to take care of winter temp spikes. I'm also looking at making a chiller from a fridge. Need to weigh up the pro's and cons first and finalise the design.
I am confident now from my trailing of this site and pestering every aquatics centre for 50 miles that my two gems are happy and well. Need to work out if I'm feeding them enough as I'm still concerned about over and under feeding. They are well monitored so time shall tell

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.276822,-2.546099

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!