Cutting Edge Enclosure Ideas (Warning: EXTREMELY HIGH TECH)

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
I've notice a lot of people in the past have struggled to keep axolotls. This is a helpful thread on how to keep them healthy using my advanced system. To go through with this you must have the following long list of high tech equipment:

1. A tub (or tank for ease of viewing if you can't see your axolotl when you look down at it in a shallow tub of water)

2. Cool, clean water

3. A good food source. I personally use earth worms but you can use others, they're usually not picky.

4. A bowl or another tub of the same size

5. Common sense. Most people struggle with this one so please be careful.

Step 1: Place at least enough water in the tub to cover the axolotl, more is OK if desired.

Step 2: Add the axolotl to the water

Step 3: Once every day (or twice if they're very young) add some food, you'll eventually know how much they will eat after watching them

Step 4: When the axolotl produces waste place them in the bowl or separate tub with water and dump the old water and scrub the fine layer of slime that has formed (if it has formed) in the tub.

Step 5: Replace the water in the original tub

Repeat steps 1-5 as needed.

Step 6: This is just as important as steps 1-5 so pay close attention: Leave the axolotls alone! Disturbing them frequently is stressful to them. Many people on this very site are guilty of literally loving their axolotls to death. If you want a pet you can handle get a rat.

Below I've included some photos to help. Please brace yourself and make sure you are seated when you view the photos because they just might blow your mind!!

The first image is of my extremely advanced enclosures for young juveniles. Pic#2 is one of my high tech adult axolotl enclosures, a 5.5 gallon tank half filled with a 9 inch male living in it. Pic #3 is a special treat for those who can't see the axolotls in the tubs. It is a glass 2.5 gallon aquarium half filled. Pic 4 is an example of the complex system I have set up for growing out juveniles, they are shoe box sized Sterlite tubs with ~3 inches of water housing 6 inch long juveniles. Pic #5 is just to show the similarity in size between the complicated axolotl habitats in pics #3 and #4.

Attachments

• axo1.jpg
    axo1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 4,255
  • axo11.jpg
    axo11.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 543
  • axo3.jpg
    axo3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 521
  • axo2.jpg
    axo2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 405
  • axo4.jpg
    axo4.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
I really love all your innovation. I mean, the idea of having something so high tech is bizarre! I keep mine in a rather low-maintenance tank of gravel, plants, filter, live floating plants, food particles, ph control, etc. I've finally moved up to some high tech equipment like this for my juvies!

(This is a great thread. Don't over-think on axolotls!)

Sounds like I'm going to keep my fancy display tank and sell off the others and move to this. :D

Given the tone of this thread, this is a friendly warning to not let this thread get out of hand.

When I'm breeding axolotls, this is how I keep my juvies until I sell them. The only reason I have a nice tank with sand and hides and such is because it looks pretty and I don't like doing daily water changes.

Last edited:
I think I need to finish my degree so I can understand this rig...

:p

Given the tone of this thread, this is a friendly warning to not let this thread get out of hand.

This is cutting edge information ! not everyone will have the ability to follow these instructions, i will post some questions when i have fully grasped all the implications. Just one point i need clarifying, water THEN axolotl? thanks.

Last edited:
This is cutting edge information ! not everyone will have the ability to follow these instructions, i will post some questions when i have fully grasped all the implications. Just one point i need clarifying, water THEN axolotl? thanks.

I understand what you mean and I will try my best to be patient in answering all of the in-depth questions you come up with regarding this mind boggling method.

Yep, water THEN axolotl.

I understand what you mean and I will try my best to be patient in answering all of the in-depth questions you come up with regarding this mind boggling method.

Yep, water THEN axolotl.

Thank you your patience of my ignorance humbles me.

I'm stuck on step 1, could the OP please post an in-depth tutorial for step 1?

I thought i would make a couple of small criticisms to this kind of method just for the sake of prevention.
While this method works perfectly well under the right conditions, there are some situations in which it can potentially be problematic. For example, if a keeper doesn´t have a location for the axolotls that remains at an adequate constant temp, the small volumes of water offer very bad stability and could cause fluctuations, which although not necessarily a problem could become one. Of course if one has a caudate room or a basement, this is not likely to be an issue at all, but for the average keeper that perhaps has them in the dinning room, it could be. Consider this when choosing the location of your animals or which method to use.
Also, because this method doesn´t rely or allow for a colony of bacteria to flourish, it depends entirely on the regular changes to maintain water quality. Should you be kept from the animals for a prolongued time, you should really have a back up plan like having someone to do the chores for you. Otherwise the small volume of water could become fouled quickly.
If such eventualities are covered, then there is no problem, it can work really well.

If one doesn't have a location with adaquate temperatures they should consider keeping something else. It doesn't matter what method one uses, 90 degrees F is 90 degrees F. I also never said the volume of water needs to be small, that is up to the keeper to decide. I simply said what I do personally, never that it was the "right" way or the "only" way, just that it is the way that has worked for me.

As for vacations, if you keep your axolotls happy they will in turn keep you happy and you won't feel the need to avoid them for a week so forget about vacations!

Just when I thought my method couldn't possibly get any more complicated (because that's what it is all about!) you've made it more complicated.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of something like having an accident and being in the hospital for two weeks.
And as for the temperature issue, sure, if you can´t provide adequate temps, keep something else, but my concern was with rapid fluctuations inside the acceptable range due to the small volume of water. Perhaps not likely to be an issue, but you know, stuff happens and it´s something to consider.

And i understand that the volume does not necessarily have to be small, but being realistic, this method is hugely impractical otherwise.

I didn´t mean to complicate things at all, i just meant to point out a couple of things that i feel should be considered. I´ve used this method in the past myself, and even though i now have a different preference, i have nothing against it, in principle. In fact i´m using a slight variation of it right now for three I.a.apuanus juveniles because of temporary limitations and thery are quite happy!

Last edited:
Well, let's review #5 on the list very briefly.

Common sense:

Don't leave your axolotl in a tub for 2 weeks unattended.

Don't place your aquarium in direct sunlight or in a doorway with a bad draft.

Don't make my extremely advanced, high tech method any more complicated for people to understand than it already is by adding in hypothetical situations, most people are still stuck on steps 1-3.

Of course if one has a caudate room or a basement, this is not likely to be an issue at all, but for the average keeper that perhaps has them in the dinning room, it could be. Consider this when choosing the location of your animals or which method to use.

I had the "dining room" problem, it was a hard one to solve. I ended up removing the dining table and chairs and eating in the kitchen. I now have a tank room. Any problem can be solved with a small amount of lateral thinking.

Okay Jake, I think I have it, but I need for you to explain to me what an axolotl is. As soon as I have that part down I think I can do this! hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back