Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies change in colour

madink

Reaction score
Just a random question 2 any Axie guru. Can what U feed your Axies influence their colour ?

I have a pretty white axie with pink gills - Ajax. Feed her (it looks like a her - LOL) earth worms in the morning & blood worms at nite. Started giving her beef heart (because in nature, cows reguarly fall into rivers - read that somewhere) as a treat & her body has flushed with a brilliant pink!

No problems, she is happy & healthy & a brilliant pink! but what is this ??? ;)

Jake

Reaction score
Her body could be pink because of increaced blood flow after eating. If it is very pink it could indicate a problem with water quality.

Cows may fall into rivers but axolotls in the wild are lake dwellers :D

madink

Reaction score
LOL - i was laughing when I read that quote ! :D PH 7.5, Temp 20, nitrate 0, nitrite 0. that's all i've got as far as testers - but I do take my water 2 an aquarium once a month - just 2 get the professionals 2 do their stuff.

The colour change seems 2 only happen at nite. She does look really pretty & by morning seems 2 have returned 2 normal?

charliesmammy10

Reaction score
My axie goes a lovly pink after being fed, she has blood worms and her gills also seem to be brighter after feeding, so i agree that its from the increased blood flow :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1