Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Owner, Essex UK

reb2g08

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am from Essex in the UK and I got a tank for Christmas from my dad.
It is a 60L tank and I will be keeping one axolotl in it.
I have set it up with a filter and a heater that is set at 17degrees today.
I have got massive pebbles at the bottom and a bridge for a hide.

Am doing a lot of research and am currently debating whether to do a fishless cycle and wait until all the readings are correct or use Tetra SafeStart to add my axie in a couple of days?

There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information out there and different people are giving me different advice!
My dad has a tropical aquarium that is fully established and I was also wondering whether I should take some of his water to help the bacteria culture.

I am so excited!

Rachael. :p

PAWS

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site!

So exciting when you get a new tank and all you want is answers, answers, answers!

Here is a good place to start http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ssion/81086-shopping-list-axolotl-owners.html Its not all "required" as you will see from other comments posted but "tank, water, hiding place, filter, food, temperature" are the key items to research first. Half the fun from being an Axi owner is learning as you go!

You'll find lots of helpful advice and guidance. Best advice I can give is as follows ... 60 mins of searching these forums will save you hours of searching elsewhere and £££ of cash!

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Welcome!

I can't really add anything extra to what PAWS said other than,when I set up my tank I did the fish in cycling method and used tetra safestart,it helped speed cycling up but it still took around a month to fully cycle me tank,so it might be worth your while looking up fish in cycling and getting a test kit(the api master test kit is great as you get everything you need).

Sent,using the power of my mind.....

reb2g08

Reaction score
Thank you!
I am so excited and everyone one the forum seems really nice and helpful. I have been reading around the forum for about 4 days now and have absorbed a wealth of information already! :) Thanks :)

experience99

Reaction score
I'm new to keeping newts so maybe people will disagree with me but when it comes to my fish keeping hobby I refrain from chemicals as much as possible. You don't want the tank to become dependant on them. I'd recommend taking a handful of gravel from your father's aquarium, that will help jump start your tank. Than check everything prior to putting anyone in. Using goldfish to cycle it works too but the conditions that most fish stores keep their goldfish in are poor at best and i'm not a fan of potentially putting any nasty stuff in any of my tanks.

Shanny

Reaction score
I used a few of my small tetras to speed up cycling process in my tank. It works pretty well, that with a small bit of de-chlorinator. Or I will throw a handful of small feeder goldfish in and leave them in there, my axi's seem to love chasing them around and having a lil snack if they have the energy to work for it :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926739,-93.081128

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!