Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fridging Questions

dad of axle

Reaction score
Hello All, This is the first time i am going to fridge my juvenile axie, It is not sick but the temperature is about to be above 35 degrees C for the next five days in South Australia.

I am nervous about the concept of putting my axolotl in the fridge, because the temperature of my fridge gets very low at times and I have opened it up to find things frozen in the fridge compartment.

Yesterday I bought a fridge thermometer which i have put in and the fridge has been a constant 5 degrees now for 24 hours.

My question is really do i need to give my axie some way of adjusting to the temperature change as it has pretty much lived in 20 degree temperatures since i got it more than two months ago.?

I don't wont to shock it too much.

And it is likely that we will have more hot weather again later in janurary too. So is it best to keep him in there for the full summer heat , or take him in and out dependent on when hot weather is forecast.?

Also I noticed that the Article about fridging axolotls doesnt have wholes in the lid. is there enough oxygen in the water with a lid fixed on to not have to worry, or should i put wholes in the lid to container?

satyrlike

Reaction score
When I have to fridge an axxie, I do 2x daily water changes so that takes care of insuring that there is enough oxygen in the water so no holes in the lid needed. Be sure to keep the fresh decholrinated water in a container in the fridge with the axxie so the water temp during changes will remain constant. I have read where some folks fridge their axxies for the entire hot weather season as a way of constant temp control. I put my axxies in the fridge to start in a contain with their regualr tank water in it. The water temp will slowly drop giving the axxie plenty of time acclimatize to it. Then I just keep up with the 2x daily water changes.

Last edited:

Zookeeper

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Queensland and it gets warm for days on end as well. Last summer I moved the tank to the coolest room in the house and ran a fan pointed at the tank as well as did cool water changes and floated frozen bottles of water in the tank which I changed on a regular basis. The tank my axis was in was quite small and the water temp heated up very quickly but with the above measures we got thru summer without needing to fridge him. He did go off his food for several weeks and lost weight but eventually he started to eat again and he is a nice big fat boy again ready to face another hot summer.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Twice a day water changes in the fridge are overkill. Unless the axie poops, you really only need to change it once a day.

If you plan on long-term fridging, like some do, think about clearing out a space big enough for a small aquarium (a couple gallons). The more water you have, the better buffer you have against water quality and swings in temperature.

And if it's any consolation, I've had ice skim some of my axie tanks in the winter. I try not to make a habit of it, but it doesn't harm them.

satyrlike

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a worry-wart when one of my axxies is ill since there is only one herp vet anywhere near me and he doesn't know much at all about axolotls. Changing the water that much gives me an excuse to keep checking on them. *grin*

Twice a day water changes in the fridge are overkill. Unless the axie poops, you really only need to change it once a day.

If you plan on long-term fridging, like some do, think about clearing out a space big enough for a small aquarium (a couple gallons). The more water you have, the better buffer you have against water quality and swings in temperature.

And if it's any consolation, I've had ice skim some of my axie tanks in the winter. I try not to make a habit of it, but it doesn't harm them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you're doing it when your axolotl is already ill, it could actually make it worse. It's stressful to have the light coming on and off and The Bringer of Food hovering over constantly, and water changes are stressful anyway. Just something to think about. I can understand being a worried parent, but like a friend of mine says, some people love their axies to death.

satyrlike

Reaction score
I bow to your superior wisdom Kaysie. :D I never even looked at it in that vein. I don't know what we'd do without all of you experienced folks on here. Your collective advice has saved me from many an unexpected problem. Many thanks!

If you're doing it when your axolotl is already ill, it could actually make it worse. It's stressful to have the light coming on and off and The Bringer of Food hovering over constantly, and water changes are stressful anyway. Just something to think about. I can understand being a worried parent, but like a friend of mine says, some people love their axies to death.

dad of axle

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice, I hope that Axle makes it through the summer with minimal stress.He has no health issues at the moment, and is very solid in build.

DRJplec

Reaction score
How long does ot take for an axolotl to be sick in a fridge think one in work swallowed stone ??????

:)

snootyfox

Reaction score
I normally find a day or so. It depends on temperature I think - On how long it takes your axi and the water it's in to reach optimal coldness to shut down it's metabolism.

xC

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1