Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello everyone and Happy New Year

jennysaxelby

Reaction score
Hi.

I've joined caudata.org because I have recently moved to a house in Torquay, Devon UK. There is a large wildlife pond in the garden with a gentle waterfall. The pond has been established for 15 years and is about 8ft by 12ft with gently sloping sides and boggy areas around. I would like to have frogs and/or newts in the garden but don't know how to acquire them.

Could anyone advise please? The previous owner was an organic gardener and I want to follow her lead.

Many thanks,

Jenny

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you build it, they will come. In fact, they're probably already there. If the pond has been established for 15 years, there's almost certainly animals using it. Wait until spring and observe at night and see what comes around. Any exotic species you introduce will escape the pond (they're not aquatic all year round) and can wreak havoc on the local ecosystem via introduced pathogens, outcompeting less aggressive species, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1