Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My Axi - is he / she healthy?

PAWS

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read a lot, researched a lot, worried a lot and purchased a lot! But no real peace of mind until I get some experienced Axi Owners opinion. When I purchased him/her the tail was missing an inch (2.5cm) and no gills at all. These photo's taken after 3 weeks care - Do you think he/she is looking ok? Little bit worried about the white spots (on my Children I would call them "milk spots"). Feeds ok, comes to tank side when I am close but just after some re-assurance I guess!

Thank You!

PS - He / She is 12cm now (5 3/4 inches old money!)

Attachments

• SAM_0430.jpg
    SAM_0430.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 241
  • SAM_0431.jpg
    SAM_0431.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 209
  • SAM_0432.jpg
    SAM_0432.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

LeFarge

Reaction score
he/she looks great - if those gills grew back in 3 weeks that's brilliant! that's a really cute one

PAWS

Reaction score
Thanks mate - When I got he/her no gills at all - kept in a tank of goldfish at the local "pet" shop. I didn't know they had gills till I came on this site. He/She spent all the tile swimming on the surface and now I know why.

If he/she (and i hope i can tell the difference soon!) looks well its only because of all the good advice on this site.... Thank you all

xxianxx

Reaction score
You have a light golden albino, the spots are fine. Check out other pics of golden albinos and you will see the same spots.

Scorpion

Reaction score
Wow! Great job! You should be proud to be a pet owner! Also, I was wondering what kind of substrate that was? I haven't seen that kind before.

iChris

Reaction score
one could say that you've worried a lotl about your new axolotl?

but seriously now, it looks like your axie is coming along well. as it's still kinda young I would keep feeding it every day.

PAWS

Reaction score
Thanks all - feel so much better now!

I purchased "Nessie" (the kids named her not me!) from a local pet shop - who obviously had no idea what they were doing!

The substrate is sand at the front, with green slate chips (minimum 40mm by 40mm) at the back. To keep the sand in one place I used a plastic corner protector (the type you use to protect brick or woodwork) from my local diy shop (£1.46 for a metre). The slate was from a local garden centre (5kg for £3.99).

Still feeding daily at the moment - earthworms supplemented with prawn, raw chicken breast, maggots, bloodworm and 3mm sinking trout pellets (it helps that I am into fishing as well!). Nessie had some raw turkey xmas day as well! Too spoilt!

natjobe

Reaction score
Don't know what she/he looked like before but looks pretty healthy now! Really cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1