Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi!

staceyracey1

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Stacey and I'm a mom from Michigan. We have been looking into getting some axolotl's for the kids (that I would of course be taking care of) and I found this site. I hope to hear from people with similiar interests and I'm looking for advice on aquarium set up, particularly substrate for axis.

Please share your knowledge, though I've read a lot about different materials, I am still unsure about what is safe.

Thank you,
Stacey

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Welcome,

I may not have the experience of a lot of the others here but depending on what stage your axolotl is in would dictate size and type of container as well as what substrate to use. If it can fit in its mouth it can and will be eaten. You can do nothing but hides if you wanted. I am partial to sand, easy to clean by just siphoning off the top layer and doesnt look like a bare tank. As long as the water is clean, the temp is within tolerances, and they are fed they are pretty happy.

I would suggest getting a juvenile or sub adult size since they are a bit hardier. I would shoot for 3 inches or larger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!