Hi!

staceyracey1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Stacey Racey
Hi,

My name is Stacey and I'm a mom from Michigan. We have been looking into getting some axolotl's for the kids (that I would of course be taking care of) and I found this site. I hope to hear from people with similiar interests and I'm looking for advice on aquarium set up, particularly substrate for axis.

Please share your knowledge, though I've read a lot about different materials, I am still unsure about what is safe.

Thank you,
Stacey

Welcome,

I may not have the experience of a lot of the others here but depending on what stage your axolotl is in would dictate size and type of container as well as what substrate to use. If it can fit in its mouth it can and will be eaten. You can do nothing but hides if you wanted. I am partial to sand, easy to clean by just siphoning off the top layer and doesnt look like a bare tank. As long as the water is clean, the temp is within tolerances, and they are fed they are pretty happy.

I would suggest getting a juvenile or sub adult size since they are a bit hardier. I would shoot for 3 inches or larger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back