Moving larvae

lollypop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
lollypop
Ok take pity on me for this probably stupid question.

What do you find is the best way to move Newley hatched larvae, and or doing 100% water changes.

Having never handled them before I have been searching ( to no avail) for the best way.
That will cause the least stress or damage.

I have various scenario's running round my head. But as a lot of you have raised many hundreds I was wanting to steal some Knowlage.

Thank you for any thoughts or experiences :happy:

Use a turkey baster to suck out all the mulm and 99% of the water, then dump the babies into a waiting tub of fresh water. Then wash the old tub to use the next day.

Thanks for that, that was kinda one of the ideas I has but wasn't sure if I would damage them that way.

I first used a very large-bore pipette to move them one at a time, and then a plastic spoon, but either way involves a lot of chasing. The method mentioned above actually sounds a bit smarter than mine haha.

If using a pipette try catching axolotl from the front so that you dont injure its gills

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back