Are these Noto eggs? And strange breeding situation?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
So recently, my male newt who didn't get fully into breeding condition during the cooling period has gotten INTO breeding condition on-and-off for th past few weeks. One day he was in condition, went into amplexus, and the next day he wasn't then the day after, he was again. I'm so confused by this ._.

Also, the other eggs I had all died I believe but.. I think there may be... more? I don't know if they are newt eggs, snail eggs, or what else... I have a picture but my dad's camera SUCKS at close ups so it isn't the best quality... The Elodea is littered with them whatever they are.

Can anyone tell me why my newt is displaying this strange behavior (he's currently in breeding condition today) and what kind of egg (if even an egg) these are.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 346
I can't see any eggs in that picture.

Your male will be either in breeding condition or not. You can tell by checking his back legs and feet: you should see black pads on his toes and little black bumps along the backs of his thighs (non-slip pads) if he's in breeding condition. Even if he's in breeding condition, he might just not feel like courting every day (although most male newts think of nothing else during the breeding season).

Those aren't noto eggs that you have circled. The female will lay an individual egg on an elodea leaf then fold it in half.

Even if your male is in the mood, it's possible your female isn't. (makes me wonder if we are related to newts....) Even if you see amplexus, it's possible you won't get any eggs. I've been dissapointed a couple of times this way.

I can't see any eggs in that picture.

Your male will be either in breeding condition or not. You can tell by checking his back legs and feet: you should see black pads on his toes and little black bumps along the backs of his thighs (non-slip pads) if he's in breeding condition. Even if he's in breeding condition, he might just not feel like courting every day (although most male newts think of nothing else during the breeding season).

I'm aware of how to tell if Ed in breeding condition but he's fluxuating back and forth between breeding condition. It changes every other day or so. Could this be caused by a... Chemical or hormonal imbalance? Do newts get those?

So you're saying he has nuptial pads one day, but not the next? I think that's pretty much impossible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back