Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will rain help trigger h orientalis to breed

desertiguana

Reaction score
The question I'm aking is in the title. I kinda want to know this because I am planning on breeding my trio in the spring(for you australians that are happily enjoying your summer us idahoans are freezing)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
H.orientalis will breed without cooling or special triggers an at different times of the year depending of a variety of factors. While low pressures have been linked to success with some species and could have an impact in H.orientalis as well, they really are not difficult to get to breed at all. I always say that all they need is to be properly housed and cared for and they WILL breed. Mine always start breeding in late summer/early fall and their trigger would appear to be either a short period on land while they are moved from one city to another, or the drop of temperatures from 24-25ºC (not constant) to 20-21ºC. They are weird...

If you provide good care for them it´s a matter of time until they breed, no special cooling, light cycle or atmospheric pressure is required. Not that it can´t help, though...

morg

Reaction score
Ive had orientalis breed each year just being kept with the correct photoperiod.
Temperature did drop slightly, but only by around 2c

desertiguana

Reaction score
My tank has dropped about 4 degrees farenheit and I figured out how to make a rainn cahamber. But apparently they have weird triggers so I'm just going to cool their tank.

(Sorry for all tbe errorsv my computer is having a meltdown)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I really wouldn´t bother with a rain chamber...if you ask me it´s a waste of time.
Just be patient and give them excellent care. They are extremely easy to get to breed and when they do they can breed A LOT. Healthy females can lay eggs on and off for up to 9 months of the year. Males can be in the mood just as long. They can go through periods of breeding activity almost throughout the year.

wargar

Reaction score
Ive had orientalis breed each year just being kept with the correct photoperiod.

I do the same, I use a plug/timer thing and just drop the light period gradually for winter and increase it for the summer. It's worked for the last 4 years.

Dave

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A weather front moving in can trigger amphibians to breed. It appears that if you do a big water change when a storm front is moving in it will trigger amphibians to breed even quicker. The biggest triggers are a balanced tank and proper nutrition.

desertiguana

Reaction score
I really wouldn´t bother with a rain chamber...if you ask me it´s a waste of time.
Just be patient and give them excellent care. They are extremely easy to get to breed and when they do they can breed A LOT. Healthy females can lay eggs on and off for up to 9 months of the year. Males can be in the mood just as long. They can go through periods of breeding activity almost throughout the year.

If they breed for 9 months on and off. Let's say that they breed for four months, two eggs a day, with a 50%fertility rate.( low for this species fom what Ive read. That's at least 60 eggs per female. Cool!:cool:

AngieD

Reaction score
I have read that they can lay 50-200 eggs, but ours only managed 3 or 4, it may be due to the stress of moving, because they bred soon after we got them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1