Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs.. Keep together or separate?

Shanny

Reaction score
So I just got 24 axolotl eggs from a guy yesterday. They were laid on the 27th, so only a few days old.
49c61248.jpg

I've been reading a lot of conflicting information about keeping them. Some people say keep the eggs together until they hatch and others say separate before they hatch. So I was just wondering what you all think, or what you have experienced works best?
Right now, I have them in a hatchling net sitting inside of my spare 20 gallon, with a small heater (since it's really cold here right now) and a small aerator filter... Well let me just post a pic in my next post, it will be easier than trying to explain.

I have small containers already set aside and ready to go, the only thing is if I put them in there now before they hatch, then the water temp is going to be lower and they won't have any filtration. While all together in the tank the temp is staying right around 65-68F.

Thanks for any input :happy:

Shanny

Reaction score
This is how they're set up right now...

58322f84.jpg

Should I keep them like this until they get to be about 10-15 day post laid? Then this way they will have the filtration and slightly warmer water temps?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Keep 'em together until they hatch. They don't need warmer water or filtration. Just a tupperware dish full of aged water, and they'll be fine until they hatch.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Try to use the water from the tank to avoid shock from temp and ph differences. Keep the eggs together.

Shanny

Reaction score
Ok:) keeping them together it is!
As of today, which would be just about day 4 since they've been laid, there are about 3 eggs that already are starting to take that bean shape. The majority of the others are no longer perfect circle, more like ovals.
Here's a pic of the one that seems to be more ahead of the others..
15792b49.jpg

Sorry about the crappy quality, all I have is my phone to take pics with.

Just thought I'd share, I know they still have a long way to go, but I'm excited haha!

Oh, you say they don't need filtration or heater... So will they still be fine hatching at lower temps?
For example if they had been laid in My tank, my boys water temp is at a steady 60F.... Is that too cold for eggs? Because from what I've gathered from my research is people have been hatching them anywhere from 64 to 70F.. Obviously the warmer water will speed up metabolism and they will hatch sooner. But I want them to take there time and develop.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926736,-93.081121

Shanny

Reaction score
So today is day 5, the eggs are all in bean shape, if not further along. Although I may have 3-4 unfertilized ones.
869acc5c.jpg

Shanny

Reaction score
Day 7, I witnessed two of them move this morning while checking water temps. One right after the other, they both made a quick flicking motion with there lil bodies.
Quite exciting:) it makes you realize more now that they are actually developing and thriving more than the human eye can see.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926776,-93.081201

Shanny

Reaction score
Crappy pic of day day 7..
6b210cde.jpg

I should have put a piece of black paper or something under the tank so maybe you can see shape of eggs better.

Shanny

Reaction score
Upon further inspection of eggs this morning, I have found that I have 5 that are unfertilized. Also I can now see which babies are already developing melaniod spots on them, I can clearly see that there are albino and melaniod babies.. It's brings me even more excitement than before!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926672,-93.081299

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Just one question. Do you have your brine shrip eggs and micro worms ready for when they hatch?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You mean pigment spots. "Melanoid" refers to animals that lack iridophores.

obicat

Reaction score
does dark eyes always mean leucistic? I have, and apologies for the non technical terms :eek: white ones and white ones with darker splodges. Some of the white ones have dark eyes, all of the splodgy ones have dark eyes. Will they stay splodgy or go darker/lighter?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They'll change a ton between now and when they grow their back legs. There's no way to tell for sure what they'll be until they get a little bigger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1