Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Young Axolotl tiny gills, gulping for air, floating.

Jeffery

Reaction score
I just recently bough an Axolotl from the vet store and brought him home. When I bought him he had only little nubs where his gills should have been. I thought this was normal because he's a young and about 5 inches long. But I brought him home and he's always gulping for air and ends up making himself float :( His tank had good ammonia control, a filter with a mixture of zeolite and carbon. I'm currently using a cycle with him in the tank, so that the filter grows the necessary bacteria. He has an air stone running and shouldn't have to go up so much. On top of this, he hasn't eaten any food since I bought him and I starting to get worried:( The temperature is at a constant 23 degrees celcius. What can I do to help him?!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's not normal for axolotls to have just nubs. That's a sign of either ammonia, fungus, or tank-mates eating away his gills. Gulping air is his way of compensating for a lack of oxygen exchange in his gills.

Zeolite and carbon aren't really the best. I distrust zeolite, and there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that carbon shouldn't be used with amphibians. I would remove both of these and cycle your tank the old-fashioned way: with a good quality test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and lots of water changes.

You should keep the tank as cool as possible. 23c is the highest you should let the tank get. When possible, it's best to keep them below 20c. You'll find that a lot of our Aussie members use a chiller.

If he's floating only when he gulps air, and then burps out the bubble and sinks, the floating isn't usually a problem. If he's floating constantly and cannot get to the bottom of the tank, then you should lower the water level until his feet touch the ground.

vlcuXX

Reaction score
I've used carbon for my axolotls all the time and nothings wrong with them.

Jeffery

Reaction score
He seemed all right for a while, then out of nowhere he just died. After I spent so much money and too so many precautions, he just died. I'm certainly taking it up with the pet store, because they could be the reason he died.

vlcuXX

Reaction score
R.I.P. D: Definitely consult the petstore, I recently got two gold albino axies and they both died due to the store having them on gravel and they died due to impaction from that gravel. After emailing them , even though they said no guarantee they replaced them with 2 new ones and they're doing amazingly well! :)

Francesca

Reaction score
That is really sad!

I was just about to post a similar question about a female juvenile I have, displaying the same problems also brought from a pet shop...

RIP :-(

Francesca

Reaction score
Hi Jeffery;

I know exactly what your going through.. My little Freckles died this morning too.. Bloody Pet shops!
Its really hard when you spend so much time caring, feeding, staying up all night with them when they are sick, and then for them to die. You feel so helpless, and definitely blame yourself, well I do.. Could we have done something more, who knows.. I feel your pain.. :-(
But don't give up.. They are so rewarding.. And such beautiful creatures..

danchristopher

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about both your losses :(

Axolotls that go to pet stores seem to almost always be given terrible treatment and are more often than not housed on gravel in overcrowded tanks that are far too warm.
The best thing to do is not buy your axolotls from pet stores! It might be tempting because you feel like you're saving them (and in the past I have given in and saved several from pet stores, heh) but that will just mean the pet store will then stock more of them and keep them the same way.

Also, if you're bringing an axie home from a pet store and it's in bad condition already then cycling a tank with the axie is probably not doing it any favours D:

Not exactly the right place but: if you guys are in Sydney I currently have two golden juveniles available that are very strong and healthy! PM me for more info if you'd like.

Francesca

Reaction score
I agree completely regarding the comments on pet shops.

In fact, after my little Freckles died I decided to go to the pet shop where I brought her from, as she was sick from the moment I brought her home.

And this is what I found at their shop. Have a look at this poor little axie that was there.
Plus some of the babies I sold them look really skinny and pale...:mad:

I think I should report them, but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is? :confused:

They offered to order me a new one, NO WAY!

Attachments

• very sick axie.jpg
    very sick axie.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5,605

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I agree completely regarding the comments on pet shops.

In fact, after my little Freckles died I decided to go to the pet shop where I brought her from, as she was sick from the moment I brought her home.

And this is what I found at their shop. Have a look at this poor little axie that was there.
Plus some of the babies I sold them look really skinny and pale...:mad:

I think I should report them, but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is? :confused:

They offered to order me a new one, NO WAY!

Poor thing :'(! Maybe you should inform them on how to take care of a sick Axie with Salt baths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1