Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken Leg? Plus Strange Swimming.

crazydragon89

Reaction score
So I have a little year or so old axolotl. I bought him "second hand" from someone who had pretty much got bored with taking care of her, so he sold her off.

Now, I've had her a while, but I noticed she always would hold her left back leg up in the air, and lean to her right. At first I thought she was just standing funny, but it persisted. I can't remember if she had it when I got her, but I know she's been like this for a while -- I didn't think it'd last so I wasn't worried, but enough time has passed that I am now.

I put her in the fridge in case it was serious, then came to ask on here. I'm wondering about a broken leg (or something like it?), since when she was in her tupperware I pushed at it and she never moved it into a different position. She won't bend it, in other words. After paying attention to it, I realized she never bends it on her own.

She did pass a piece of gravel while she was in the fridge, which was LONG held over from her last tank. The guy was keeping her with gravel, while I have only ever used sand. So the fridging ended up being great since I never thought she was impacted.

So, after that long exposition, does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

xxianxx

Reaction score
One possible explaination was that the leg was bitten off and then regenerated improperly and at a funny angle, im sure you will get a few more opinions.

snootyfox

Reaction score
As you've not had much response I'll just chuck in my two cents... I would keep her in the fridge for a few days. I've seen that leg in the air thing a few times and it's not that the leg is poorly, it's just that the axolotl has a bit of gas that is making it unbalanced. To keep itself steady it raises it's leg up - sort of like sticking your leg out to the side to help you balance when you are standing on the one leg.
The fridge will help her pass the gas and any blockages preventing it escaping normally.

Please try not to worry, I know that's a daft thing to say as I've been there too :)

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
Cady,

Does she seem to walk on the hand or on the elbow. I too have a little guy that has walked on his elbow since i got him. I am assuming it was bitten off as a larvae or small juvenile and did not regrow properly. He too will stand with that arm raised just like your picture. If it is an abnormal growth I am not sure there is much you or I can do. It would be cruel to cut it off and try for a proper regrowth. Mine gets around just fine on three feet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1