Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire salamander larva from france

dbonner

Reaction score
Hello,

I just joined caudata.org because we have at home a fire salamander larva from a village fountain in the Dordogne region of France. The fountain was made out of stone with steep walls, and the mother had drowned in it. All the larva seemed to be doing well, there were about 50 of them. Their future looked dim due to the walls that might prevent them from climbing out at metamorphosis, so I figured it was ok to take one. I think the little guy is about a week old right now. Has anyone published a "how to raise fire salamander larvae" guide? so far we've managed to make him eat some bits of earthworm by wiggling it in front of him (or her), but I understand we really need some live, moving prey, however we are short on time so if I start raising daphne today, they might come too late... Does anyone know what kind of live food might be available in the Paris, France area?

animus ONE

Reaction score
hello and welcome, go ahead and check this out, It could tell you a lot more about the little guy you found, I'm sure this probably is not everything your going to need to know about successfully raising a fire salamander from larva, but this should get you going in the rite direction. http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandra/Salamandra_sp.shtml

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum.
There is a little problem....taking that animal home was an illegal act, in fact depending on the area, it may even be illegal to disturb them. Another problem is that it´s also illegal to release the animal back, in the future. So you "can´t" keep the animal (you shouldn´t) and you "can´t" put it back. It´s unlikely you will get into trouble, but if you do, the fine is pretty high. The best solution is to take it to a conservation center or to the pertinent authorities and explain what happened.
There is a reason why these animals are protected and their collection is sanctioned with high fines, they need that protection as their populations are ,sadly, quite vulnerable.
I hope you do the right thing, and if you want to keep this fascinating species, there are plenty of subspecies being frequently bred in captivity and available at low prices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!