VERY BAD Leg Problem With My Fire Bellied Newt

alienator064

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Bales
Well i got these FBNs and they came to me with pretty much one bite mark on each of their bodies, with the worst being one with it's tail half bitten off. In the 5 days I have had them they all nearly fully recovered except for one guy who had a bite on his arm. Since then it got worse and now his bottom half of his left arm is holding on to the top part by a thin piece of skin, and with a large cotton like growth. He moves around fine but he cant move his arm. Here is a picture of it.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20851&stc=1&d=1325527517

Attachments

• IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 1,182
I can't make a suggestion on helping them, except keeping them isolated to stop the biting (and also to stop the risk of spreading infections), but the 'cotton' growth looks exactly like the fungus that infected my betta splendens fish.
I cannot comment on how to treat it, because I haven't encountered this problem with amphibians, I will leave that to the more knowledgeable forum members.

Good luck with the little guy xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back