Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluffy Gills

natjobe

Reaction score
Are their ways to help/contribute to fluffy gills? More oxygen? Conditioners that have been added? Are there certain color types that have fluffier gills then others? Is it bred in?

Kribby

Reaction score
Well, I am by no means an expert on the fluffiness of gills, However, we could look at it from a logical standpoint and make a couple assumptions.

There are generally two factors when assessing traits. Genetic factors and environmental factors. While I am certain that you could potentially breed for fluffy gills, it would be difficult to look at an individuals ancestry without accounting for environmental factors. So we can dismiss this one for now and look at what we can control.

Environment.
We can start by acknowledging that gills are a very sensitive organ. They are easy to damage so if you want to maximize gill fluff, minimizing the things that damage them is key.
Chemical damage: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and other dissolved waste generated materials in the water collumn can and will damage gill tissue and slow regenerative growth. So the water should be kept as pristine as possible with good water changes. It should also be noted that we only test for a small number of parameters with the water, heavy metals, and other dissolved organics play a roll.

Cohabitants: fluffy gills make a tempting looking snack to anything that enjoys moving prey (which is just about every aquatic species I can think of). If you want long and fluffy gills, keep the axolotl separate from other species.

So in general, I'd say the keep to fluffy gills is water quality and nothing nipping them.

As for conditioners, just don't use them. Conditioners generally have coating agents in them. I can't see coating the gills in something as being particularly good for them. A healthy animal shouldn't need anything in the conditioner anyways. (unless it is dechlore of course).

snootyfox

Reaction score
When the water is well aerated and the beast does not need to swim to the top for oxygen, the gills will flourish to optimum fluffage.

charliesmammy10

Reaction score
I think some of it is down to genetics like all animals, i.e i have really curly hair because my mother and fathers genetics allow so, but i agree with the others that its to do with they air in the tank, so if your axolotl has short and non fluffy gill stalks, and are frequently going up for air, the tank doesnt have enough oxugen in

lollypop

Reaction score
I always understood it was the opposite, as the less well oxigenated the water the fluffier the gills. As was being discussed in a post on water additives, the more oxygen the les need for more surface area on the gill filaments.

Don't hesitate to prove me wrong though, as I'm only going on my experience, (and I think it's in one of the care sheets, but I read it years ago, so as I say I could be wrong) :happy:

Last edited:

charliesmammy10

Reaction score
Oh bum, i could be wrong too mind im not totally experienced, may have read something wrong

snootyfox

Reaction score
Well I obviously can't speak for the species but I just found that gills in my tanks always grew thick and fluffier once I got the filter/airpump situ right. And it just occurred to me that if they don't need to get to the top for air so much, their gills get worked more, and get nice and fluffy... Kind of like using a muscle I guess. But being eager to contribute to a forum, I do tend to rely pretty much solely on smug guesswork ^_^

JessKB

Reaction score
From what I understand, genetics plays the largest role. Gills get fluffier and larger (to an extent) when there is LESS oxygen in the water. This is because the axolotl is trying to take advantage of its gills having a greater surface area to absorb more oxygen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!