Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Illinois

experience99

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and my new tank, hoping to maybe get a few pointers from some of the more experienced newt/salamander keepers.

Names Patrick, living in Illinois (suburbs of Chicago). I've been keeping aquariums, purely fish, for upwards of a decade now. Currently I have a 125gal frontosa/clown loach tank. A 65gal African cichlid tank and a 30gal hospital tank with a couple tetras purely for aesthetic reasons. I had an extra 55gal that was just kinda sitting in my basement so my fiance and I decided to have some fun with it.

I set it up with leftover parts I've had from doing the aquarium thing for so long. Basement is a little cool, at least for the now in the winter, ~62F. So I have a heater in there. Currently it's filled ~2/3's with water, rocks are built up to give our soon to be new pets some land. I also plan on getting a nice chunk of driftwood to give them another option. Bought some plants to dress it up a little and give the newts more sense of security, most likely will invest in more once I figure this freshwater plant thing out, this will be my first adventure keeping plants. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

The tank has pretty large gravel in it, I contemplated taking it all out and leaving a bare bottom or replacing it with fine sand but with the size of this gravel i'm thinking it should be fine unless they get larger than I anticipate. It's not rough either so it shouldn't bother their bellies. Water is @69.5F and the air surrounding their terrestrial rocks is @66F.

I do have fairly powerful lights on, nothing too crazy but enough to help promote the plant growth. It has one 6,700K daylight lamp and one colormax lamp, both T5. I was planning on doing 12on/12off unless you guys feel something else would work better. One of the other things I was wondering about was my filter. Currently I have the marineland magnum 350 canister filter on. Flow rate is 350GPH, I adjusted the exhaust a little and removed the part that blows water into the tank so there isn't much water flow amongst the tank that would stress anyone out. However I did read somewhere while I was researching all this that it can be bad to overly filter the water. If so I do have an extra H.O.T. magnum canister filter with a flow rate of 250GPH, its much older so i'm sure it's not quite that high anymore.

Anyways the plan is to pick up 3 fire bellied newts later in the week. I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum, I don't post much, mainly just lurk and learn so thanks for any information in advance. Sorry if the picture is overly large, I'm using a Mac and I have no idea what i'm doing with it.

IMG_1893.jpg

sugarfive

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's a nice tank for firebellies! The only thing I would change is to remove the heater. You don't need it. Salamanders like it cold.

Good luck with the plants too. I've never had a green thumb, so my hat's off to anyone who can grow anything (I kill elodea...).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!