Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Need advise, please... Lottie is ?sick

My Lottie

Reaction score
Inherited a 4 yr old axolotol, who had been living in a small outside pond, eating "white clouds". Felt sorry for her, as its too cold in winter, so bought tank, etc and for the past 1 1/2 years she has been in our dining room. All has been fine, until the week before Christmas, when she went off her food... actually turns and swims quickly away, when I touch her nose with the food (as I would normally do). Shows no interest at all! Also she has developed greyish spots of varying sizes on her body, which I thought were markings, or natural colouring happening as she grew and got older, Now I'm thinking she is sick.:( How would I know if she has swallowed a stone? :confused::confused: She gets pellets from a dish in her tank, and hand fed worms or slithers of beef.
I have read in this forum about a salt bath if her spots are bacterial... has anyone used this successfully ? Please, I would love to hear from you...( Lottie's Mum)

Mandy6

Reaction score
Has she been floating?
What is the temperature of your tank?
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Can you provide some pictures of the spots?

Do you have stones/gravel as a substrate?

My Lottie

Reaction score
No, she doesn't float. She's mostly on the bottom of the tank, but moves around a bit.
Am managing to keep temp between 20 -22 c on these hot days with floating ice and frozen bottles.
For the 1 1/2 years she has been inside, I have only had an aerator in the tank, and done regular water 20 - 30% changes, and "vaccuming" of waste. All seemed to be going ok!
The other day, I visited a new pet shop in our town, and discovered on a water test, that I needed a pump, which I have installed. I have directed the flow onto the top of a "hide", so the flow isn't upsetting her!
The bottom of her tank is covered with stones (I can see everyone saying OMG!) They range in size from golf ball size down to thumb nail size --- after reading this web site, I can see this is WRONG! I am going to remove them today. And give her a salt bath, I think.
Please advise on getting water to required state. We have chlorine in our town water, and I have been de chlorinating it. I am going to try and send a photo. Thanks, ....:happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0868 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0868 - Copy.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 206

lollypop

Reaction score
My bubbas face looks just like that,
He has whiteish and a couple of greenish patches, has been that shade for years.

He's not sick :happy: hopefully yours is the same. But wait for the advice of some knolageble ones, to make sure.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're removing the stones!

If the patches are a new development, they could be worrisome. Have you tested the water? Ammonia and nitrite are especially important.

You say you put a pump in the tank. How much flow does it have? Axolotls are really sensitive to water movement; they don't like it.

My Lottie

Reaction score
When I said I put a pump, I MEANT a filter... it sits on the back of the tank, with a tube sucking water out, and filtering, then flowing back in... I've adjusted the flow to minimum, and directed it onto a "cave" in her tank, so its not worrying her. What do you think about her spots, Kayse ?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When did they start showing up? How long has she had them? Are they different in texture?

My Lottie

Reaction score
Looking back at photos of her that I have, she had no noticeable spots in July of last year... then photo in September she has. The spots are not raised, and appear flat on her skin. She has "freaked" out being put back in her stonless tank... hiding head down in a corner !!?? I've only left the BIG stones that hold the plants down.
So far I have NOT tested the water.. what do I NEED, please, as the pet shop owner can sell me anything1? :eek:

Camirdra

Reaction score
You said you have been cooling her tank with ice. Any chance it's been jumping up at night or while you are at work/away? The problem with ice is that it's hard to keep a consistent temperature and the constant fluctuations can cause them just as much stress as the warm tank. Chillers are EXPENSIVE but if you can afford one they are great!

Mandy6

Reaction score
For testing the water, I use API Master Freshwater liquid test kit.

Liquid tests are best and more accurate than strips. The master kit tests PH, Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia. It is expensive but it lasts a long long long time

My Lottie

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest... I only put the ice or frozen bottle of ice in thro' the day and watch her. She is definately not touching it. She managed last summer with temps between 20 - 24 c and was fine, but as you say, I might investigate a chiller.

My Lottie

Reaction score
Tks Mandy for the info re test kits .. I'll get it tomorrow.
.... MEANWHILE... no one has offered any suggestions as to how I would know if she has swallowed any stones!! She has not eaten since 4 days before Christmas!! and shows no sign of interest, either.!?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can try to gently feel her belly for larger rocks. Other than that, and getting x-rays from a vet, the best way is to put her in the fridge and see if she poops some out.

My Lottie

Reaction score
Lottie doesn't LIKE being touched, so I guess thats out! I am checking the fridge temp in a glass of water as I am writing this. How long will I leave her in there? I know I'll have to do same temp water changes every day. Kaysie... she HASN'T eaten since 4 days before Christmas... thats 15 days... and I don't know if she's pooped, because the stones would hide it. Thanks for your time to reply me.:happy:

lollypop

Reaction score
If the fish shop said your water needed a filter ( and then supplied said filter) did they also recommend daily water changes (partial)
I would presume they found readings of something to justify the selling of the filter,
If it was me I think I would refrigerate and throw the daily fridge waste back in the tank.

And in the fridge she proberbly won't want to eat, but won't do as much harm as not eating in a warmer tank.

If that makes any sense at all:confused:

At least it will give you time to sort out test kits etc, ( or get the shop to test again and wright down the results)

Sorry I'm not much more help.

My Lottie

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, lollypop! Will putting her straight in the container in the fridge, shock her? Do I use water from her tank to put her in first, and let it slowly cool, or use the cool water straight away?? Its all SO new to me! :confused::confused:

Mandy6

Reaction score
Use water from her tank and let it cool gradually in the fridge. A sudden change will shock her

My Lottie

Reaction score
Thanks Mandy... I've had to turn my fridge up, as the water I put in about 4pm, has gone down below 5 degrees. May have to wait till the am, to put her in. She is moving around a bit now, not thinking much of the bare glass bottom of her tank, now that I've taken out the stones. Offered a worm... no luck, offered a sliver of steak... not interested.- fortunately she's a solid girl, and about 11-12 inches long.
How is your axolotol doing now -- I've read some of your posts! :happy:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
With regards to the white spots, they look very much like what my wild and melanoid boys have. They are not raised at all and look to be part of the skin colouration. As they both have gotten older, they seem to develope a few more. It does puzzle me, but they both appear happy and well.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 156
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1