Will my axies be friendly to a newcommer?

grets66

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Display Name
Grete
Hei, I have 2 albino axies by now and they are over 25cm long and quite big. I wish to get one more, hopefully it will be a female this time. :) I just wanted to know if anybody has any suggestionson how I should proceed once I have taken the new fellow, who is about 10cm smaller, home? Is there any chance that my old guys will be dangerous to the new one and attack it? And if so then whats should I do?

The bigger axies, could try and take experimental chomps out of the smaller axie, and I know it's recommended that you keep the same sizes together.
Having said that, my male is 12 inches and my female is only 9 inches and they are co-habiting fine.
They have been in a tank together for the past three years. But for just over two of those I had them divided, they could see and obviously smell each other.
My female likes to swim so when I tried in the past to put them together her little legs dangling from the top of the tank look a lot like worms so he whould take a chomp.

I moved the pair to a bigger tank and put in lots and lots of hides including ones they already had. And this time seems to have done the trick.

So. Make lots of hides, and have the possibility of either dividing your tank, or having a separate one that she could go in. No a bad possibility either as if it is a female there's a good chance ( if there old enough) that the boys will start leaving presents.

Hope that helps.

Also if you search you will find a lot of the knowable people on here have answered this type of question before, and I'm sure you will find a more comprehensive answere.

Personally I wouldn't risk putting them together with that level of size difference - I think there is the potential for your smaller axy to sustain substantial damage (I am pretty sure if I put something that size in with my adults they would say thank you for dinner!).

Putting in plenty of hides etc. will reduce the risk and it may be ok; but I would keep them separate until they are a more compatible size (e.g. the smaller one gets up to nearer 20cms).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back