Axolotls and electrical field detection.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
I just came across this information whilst looking for wild axolotl behavior

A. Mexicanum are both dinural and nocturnal (meaning they are active both during the day and night). They tend to stick to a specific area and are commonly solitary. Due to their solitary lifestyle there is little communication between individuals, however, when mating chemical and visual means are usually adopted. These techniques, as well as detecting electrical fields are used ro apprehend their potential prey and surrounding environment (Brandon, R. et. al. 1989)
Ambystoma mexicanum - AnimalWiki

I was not aware axolotls detected electrical fields. What part of the body are these sense organs placed ? Are they the small pits around the bottom of the jaw?

Could be in the stalks of the gills? they always curl them forward to hunt.. perhaps they are using them like an insects antenna?

Axolotls, like all aquatic caudates (and the larvae of terrestrial ones) have a lateral line much in the same position that fish do. It also connects and spreads into a complex network of pits and bumps on the animal´s head, which are usually visible, specially in dark colored animals.

Axolotls, like all aquatic caudates (and the larvae of terrestrial ones) have a lateral line much in the same position that fish do. It also connects and spreads into a complex network of pits and bumps on the animal´s head, which are usually visible, specially in dark colored animals.

Do you mean the bumps that make new axolotl owners insane when they falsely believe they are a disease ready to kill their cute little girl or boy......:rofl:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back