Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Could be laying eggs?

larn

Reaction score
The axolotls have been displaying breeding behaviour over the last few weeks, yesterday I noticed spermatophores dotted around the tank, today the males are hanging back in their cave but the female is very active.

In my opinion her tummy is larger than normal, she is swimming around the tank, sort of floating around, getting on top of things, plants, objects and sometimes stops in a funny position with a leg in the air. I thought maybe she is looking for suitable places to deposit her eggs, but I’m not sure because so far I can't see any eggs.

What do you think?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They usually start laying eggs within 24 hours of picking up a spermatophore. They're also not all that picky about where they lay 'em. Keep an eye out!

larn

Reaction score
She is sort of grabbing onto things with her back legs, the tails is swishing around, wow i think something is happening! i can see some white things, but not sure if it is the spermatophores or eggs

she is moving around all over the place!

larn

Reaction score
I can definitely see eggs now, there are about 15 - 20 so far, seems like a big job for her, i'm glad she eat something earlier today :)

Surely by tomorrow there will be lots of them? I think i will transfer them to a container

i was going to remove the males, but it might stress her too much, so i will wait until tomorrow morning

i might need some advice later because this is the first time for me

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is this her first clutch? They tend to be a little smaller, maybe around 200. Think about how many you really plan on raising. Axolotls are good at disposing their own young (as gruesome as it sounds).

larn

Reaction score
This is the first time she has produced eggs, i'm not really too sure how many i can raise. we will see.

i am just finishing work now, so should be interesting to see how things are going

larn

Reaction score
wow so many eggs now and she is still producing more! how long can this go on for? it's been about 24 hours

D

DingoDoo

wow so many eggs now and she is still producing more! how long can this go on for? it's been about 24 hours

mine layed 700 eggs in 28 hours, she certainly was hungry afterwards
that was her first ever lay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1